NV4500 PLEASE use right fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my transmission rebuilt by a respectable trans shop about 4 hours from my house. Well picked it up. They put in new bearings, seals, and synchros. Picked it up. Drove it back home. Felt great UNTIL when I was getting close to the house, I noticed that 3rd gear was getting clunky.

Long story short. Checked the fluid, found out they used valvoline manual trans gear oil (they confessed that) as they "didn't have any GM fluid in stock and valvoline states its OK on their website". So here I am $1100 out and they claim I was "hot rodding it with that V8 so warranty is void" lol. The stock TBI V8 with 500k miles and elderbrock carb that's running rich. Yep. Totally. Soooo much power.

Ordered some Amsoil MTG and threw it in today during my lunch break. 3rd still clunky and feels like it's not slowing down like it should. Sometimes have to double clutch it.

Called GM dealership, closets stealership that has more than 1 qt of the gear oil is clear across Texas. So Amsoil it is.

Just warning people to take it to a shop that KNOWS what fluid to use or supply your own fluid. I should of asked what fluids they were gonna use and run far away.

Well atleast my bearing noise is gone. Dont have the funds to have it rebuilt again and I'm not getting a refund from them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would look into filing a chargeback if you paid with a credit card. They definitely didn't give you what you paid for. That's incredibly shady on their part to not make it right with you when they admitted they used the wrong fluid. Sorry to hear that.

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately I paid with cash since they offered a 10% discount and free fluids and no shop fees with cash. Their defense is that its approved by Valvoline for the NV4500 and my stock TBI engine is too much torque for that transmission.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Have you checked the "Valvoline web site" to confirm or deny that the fluid is not compatible? Is the Amsoil fluid YOU installed compatible?

2. How did they not notice what engine was in the vehicle when they were working on the truck?

3. What "stock" TBI engine comes with an "elderbrock" carb???

4. Did they give you a receipt?

5. Did they give you an estimate? Are they legally required to do so in your area?

6. What is the torque rating of your transmission? What is the torque rating of your engine?

Get GOOD answers to all the above. Especially the part about the carb and how that affects engine power, and compatibility of both fluids.

Frankly, this does not sound like a fluid-compatibility issue to me, although it could be. It sounds like they did a ****** job of rebuilding the transmission, and you'd have had problems no matter what fluid they put in.

THIS is what "Small Claims Court" is for. SUE THEM. Around here, you go to the county courthouse, buy a "small claims" packet for $35, and then you figure out how you're going to have the papers served. I choose to pay extra to have the Sheriff serve the defendant; there's nothing that gets someone's attention like having a guy in uniform with a sidearm hand them paperwork, and demand a signature.​

Last edited:

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Have you checked the "Valvoline web site" to confirm or deny that the fluid is not compatible? Is the Amsoil fluid YOU installed compatible?

2. How did they not notice what engine was in the vehicle when they were working on the truck?

3. What "stock" TBI engine comes with an "elderbrock" carb???

4. Did they give you a receipt?

5. Did they give you an estimate? Are they legally required to do so in your area?

6. What is the torque rating of your transmission? What is the torque rating of your engine?

Get GOOD answers to all the above. Especially the part about the carb and how that affects engine power, and compatibility of both fluids.

Frankly, this does not sound like a fluid-compatibility issue to me, although it could be. It sounds like they did a ****** job of rebuilding the transmission, and you'd have had problems no matter what fluid they put in.

THIS is what "Small Claims Court" is for. SUE THEM. Around here, you go to the county courthouse, buy a "small claims" packet for $35, and then you figure out how you're going to have the papers served. I choose to pay extra to have the Sheriff serve the defendant; there's nothing that gets someone's attention like having a guy in uniform with a sidearm hand them paperwork, and demand a signature.​

1. Yes. I checked Valvoline Synchromesh MTF is listed as comparable to GM part number 12346190 (according to Valvoline)
www.carquestprofessionals.com › ...PDF Manual Transmission Fluid Application Guide - Carquest Auto Parts

The Amsoil MTGPK is crosses to GM 12346190. Is stated by both this website and recommend by Standard Transmission and Gear

http://www.dieselhub.com/trans/nv4500.html

Amsoil website
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...-transmission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/

2. Maybe they had their eyes closed. Or they are idiots. You dont have to open the hood to drop the trans. All they know is V8. I'm the only one that can open the hood since the cable is broke. They even confirmed they didn't need under the hood when I dropped it off.

3. It's a STOCK TBI long block with 500k miles on it. Just recently put the elderbrock carb and intake on it due to ECM issues less than a month ago. Hell carb is still isn't tuned for the 350. I will be VERY VERY surprised it if increased anything other than my fuel bill.

4. Yes. Hand written receipt. Like most smaller shops do. (Smaller compared to a dealership)

5. Yes. The estimate was $1350 but was given the cash discount. I dont do credit cards. Easy to spend money I dont have and I like having no debt. Busted my butt off for 13 years to pay off my house and the wife's car.

6. Torque rating? It's a STOCK NV4500 and a weak TBI engine with over 500k miles. HALF MILLION MILES. Both trans and engine are orginal to the truck. But we will play a game.

New TBI engine from GM is rated at 210HP @ 4000 RPM, 300 ft/lbs TQ @ 2800 RPM
https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/12681430/10002/-1

NV4500 is rated at 460ft/lbs (from website above)

I highly doubt a elderbrock carb added 160 ft/lbs. 50% increase.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point of my questions was not that you need to tell ME.

The point is that you need to be ready to tell the Judge. And you need to print out, organize, and be ready to present EVIDENCE THAT SUPPORTS YOUR CLAIM. LOTS of evidence, traceable to where you found it, either on the internet, or from the manufacturer, or wherever you got it from.

SUE THEM.

First Guess: The Sheriff serves the papers, the guy changes his underwear, and then you get a 'phone call from him, begging to "make it right". 50/50 you'll never see the inside of the courtroom because they'll either fix it or refund you.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
First Guess: The Sheriff serves the papers, the guy changes his underwear, and then you get a 'phone call from him, begging to "make it right". 50/50 you'll never see the inside of the courtroom because they'll either fix it or refund you.

Yup, did this when I was in an accident as a teenager in high school. Paper delivery lady was driving down the wrong side of the road delivering papers and decided that she didn't need to look before turning around... she turned directly into me, and I ended up in the ditch. My truck was totaled, but still fine for a high schooler. I wanted the money owed to me. Her insurance was through an independent dealer and no one could figure out who/what/where she had insurance through.... she/husband wasn't talking. I filed in small claims, and my grandmother paid to have the notice hand delivered ($15 fee at that time I believe). All of a sudden, they couldn't get a hold of me fast enough! The husband still tried to pin it on me, but I had my insurance agent backing me up since we met as his office. It never went to court, they just wrote me a check for what the law said I could claim....$400, I think.

In retrospect, they probably didn't have valid insurance, just an old proof that was shown to the officer.

Chebig

Reaction score
I have a 550hp, 500 ft./lbs. 383 in front of my NV4500 that I have put 22,000 miles on since I built the motor. I haven't had a single issue with this tranny and I run that thing all the way up to 6500 RPM all the time. ...Now that's "Hot Rodding"!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
NV4500's come stock behind Vortec 7.4's, considerably more torque than your small block is making. They're bullshitting, get your facts together as Schurkey mentioned and stick it to those ********.

And I'll just repeat what I've said many times, stick with the GM fluid anyway. No, the fluid they used is probably not what wiped out that trans, just their crummy rebuild. But I'd still not risk an NV4500 to anything but the fluid that was designed by Castrol specifically for it. Companies can tell you their fluid will work, but they'll be quick to deny any liability once you have a problem.

Richard