Nv4500 in 94 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Does it not engage in all gears or just one or a couple? Diagnosing this with it in the truck might only get you so far. If you bleed the slave/master multiple times and still no ball, may have to take that ***** back out and see what's going on.

Joseph1234567

Reaction score
Does it not engage in all gears or just one or a couple? Diagnosing this with it in the truck might only get you so far. If you bleed the slave/master multiple times and still no ball, may have to take that ***** back out and see what's going on.
Ya I think I’m just gonna have to take it back out and see what’s goin on

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Another weird thing is that if I take the drive shaft off I can run through all the gears just fine
That is....weird. Almost sounds like something internally is either broken or misaligned.

I suggest to find a local transmission shop with good reviews and especially one that knows about these NV3500/4500s and see if they can shed some light.

My local shop that I came across(which is almost two hours away!), If I never met the owner, who showed me the drag cars he built 30+ years ago, I would never had them work on my trucks.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another weird thing is that if I take the drive shaft off I can run through all the gears just fine
That's not weird. If your transmission isn't disengaging, it's rev matched to the engine, making shifting easy.

I think we've pretty well narrowed it down to your clutch not fully disengaging. Did you buy the clutch and pressure plate as a set, and do they match the flywheel you're using?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
when bleeding did you just open up the bleeder then pump the pedal a bunch? if you did it this way you probably sucked air in whenever you let off the pedal.

to do it correctly you need to have two people or a vacuum pump

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to use a pressure bleeder on mine that put pressure through the top. Mine has the internal slave so depending on year determines the slave. A complete sealed unit is way to go if you can. Pilot wont have that effect on it. If it slid in to pilot it wasnt too tight and even if it was as soon as clutch was released it wouldn't be anymore.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 4500 is out of a 99 1 ton and I used clutch and all components for same year

gonefishin

Reaction score
i had the opposite problem when i did an nv4500 swap. my clutch would slip with the clutch all the way out. there are a couple versions of the nv4500.

First version i believe ended about 1994, it had external slave cylinder and lower first gear ratio.

second version was 1995 only i believe. it was an oddball. it had the external slave cylinder, but with the slightly higher first gear ratio.

Third version was 1996 and newer. It has an internal slave cylinder with the same gear ratio as the 1995 model.

If you put the clutch from a 1996+ model transmission in the earlier external slave cylinder version you will have this problem happen.

just like when i used an earlier model clutch in my later model transmission it would slip.

hope this helps.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if the later clutch was used in Joseph's '94, that may be the issue? Time to check the part numbers vs application.