Nv4500 in 94 k1500

Discussion in 'Transmissions' started by Joseph1234567, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Joseph1234567

Joseph1234567 Newbie

I have a 4x4 94 k1500 that had a 4l60e in it. I recently took that out and put in an nv4500 out of a 95 k2500. I installed brand new pilot bushing, fly wheel, friction disk, and pressure plate. (Yes I put friction disk in the correct way) I also bought a brand new pre bled master/slave cylinder and line, and bled it myself just to make sure. The swap went well, but when I started it and went to put it in gear it won’t go in. It’s acting like the clutch isn’t disengaging at all. Idk what the problem is.

1ton-o-fun and DerekTheGreat like this.
  2. Vikingswithwrenches

Vikingswithwrenches OBS obsessed Viking

What was the condition of the transmission itself? Broken teeth, bad syncros, etc.?

1ton-o-fun likes this.
  3. Joseph1234567

Joseph1234567 Newbie

Transmission is Good shape. No broken teeth.

1ton-o-fun likes this.
  4. Hipster

Hipster I'm Awesome

This would not be the first time I've heard of an Autozone or similar slave cylinder being bad out of the box. What did you put in?

5. DerekTheGreat

DerekTheGreat I'm Awesome

Try and start it in gear with the driven wheels in the air. That'll confirm if the clutch isn't disengaging, at the very least. These can be a pain in the ass to bleed. Now, I've got no experience with a NV4500 personally but the 5LM60 in my '89 gave me similar issues to yours when I swapped out the master & slave. I was getting fluid at the slave yet the clutch wouldn't disengage. Spent several hours over the course of two days trying to figure it out. Members here helped big time- I put the ass of the truck in the air and that helped purge the remaining air out of the clutch master.

1ton-o-fun likes this.
  6. Joseph1234567

Joseph1234567 Newbie

it was the master/slave from auto zone. I don’t think it’s bad, I can get under it and see that it’s moving the little push rod at the slave cylinder, therefore moving the clutch fork.

1ton-o-fun likes this.
  7. Joseph1234567

Joseph1234567 Newbie

I started the truck in gear and it takes off, confirming that the clutch won’t disengage, I even put a longer rod from the slave cylinder to clutch fork to test if the original one wasn’t pushing it far enough and it’s still not even trying to disengage. I’ll try bleeding the line with the rear end in the air. Thank you

8. Joseph1234567

Joseph1234567 Newbie

Is it possible that I messed up the spring splines on the pressure plate when I was installing the transmission?It was pretty tight getting it up in there

1ton-o-fun likes this.
  9. RichLo

RichLo E I E I O

Are you sure the slave push rod is actually hitting the clutch fork? those floppy push rods can miss the fork sometimes.

1ton-o-fun likes this.
  10. Erik the Awful

Erik the Awful Supporting Member

Pilot bushing or pilot bearing? If it's truly a pilot bearing, did you put a dab of grease in there?

Did you use a clutch alignment tool?

1ton-o-fun likes this.