Nv4500 differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as the transmission "deciding" it doesnt want synchros anymore, you didnt happen to change oil prior to that, did you?

The NV4500 has carbon fiber synchronizers that require special oil (GM PN 12346190) the Amsoil MTG is the only aftermarket oil I have tried that actually is comparable. I'd call it 95-98 percent as good shift quality as the OEM oil.
Considering what is at stake I've always recommended ONLY the correct GM lubricant for these transmissions. Costs too much to fix the mistake if someone else's "compatible" lube screws it up.

Concerning the master cylinder differences, the master cylinder for the old style external slave has a small hole in the firewall with 2 offset holes that it bolts into. Pretty simple arrangement.

The master for the newer style integrated slave/release bearing is a ridiculous setup where there is a stepped hole in the firewall, meaning you have a couple layers of sheetmetal and there are two different sized holes it goes through, so that a lip on the rear of the master rests against the smaller hole and you clock the master into a square hole in a bracket that bolts onto the interior side of the firewall. It's stupid as hell. I absolutely hated life converting a 1994 model truck to use the new style master cylinder.

Old style (Not the best pic but you can clearly see the offset holes for the mc bolts)
You must be registered for see images attach

New style
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Saeulfr

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ended up just going for a hd rebuild. Will be swapping motors later this year so decided it was worth it to just spend the money seeing as I'm gonna completely rebuild a 454 to go back in it. New one is supposed to handle almost 700ftlb and had a warranty so good deal all around. Thanks for the help and advice though