Nv4500 differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saeulfr

Reaction score
Alright guys. In a bit of a dilemma. I have just purchased a 94 c3500 crew cab dually. Turns out this truck was originally 454 not 350 as it is now. Add to that my nv4500 decided it doesn't want syncros anymore. Have yet to find a show that actually wants to mess with rebuilding it and can't locate a used replacement anywhere copie. My questions are can I use a 96 or newer nv4500 with my year? I've seen there are differences for the 4x4 but not the base trans. Also will this work with the 454 or am I gonna have to replace it again? I've had mopars all my life so kinda outta my comfort zone here. Thanks in advance for any advice

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Luckily you have a core. I believe you can use a newer trans but you will need to swap the bellhousings to keep the external slave cylinder. And you will loose the super low granny gear with a 95 or newer

Saeulfr

Reaction score
Luckily you have a core. I believe you can use a newer trans but you will need to swap the bellhousings to keep the external slave cylinder. And you will loose the super low granny gear with a 95 or newer

I'm honestly ok with losing the granny. The most I might pull is a horse trailer for the Amish neighbor every now and then or some supplies for the property. Is it pretty strictst forward for changing for the shave cylinders

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Changing the bell housing and keeping your external slave will be easier than converting to an internal slave.

Saeulfr

Reaction score
Would I need to change out the input shaft and retainer clip and that as well? Sorry for so many questions. Just trying to get all information I can get so I make sure I'm confident in the choice

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Hopefully somebody else will chime in also if I'm wrong but I believe if its from a Chevy the input shaft will be the same and it should be a pretty easy swap. But avoid NV4500's from Dodges. Those dont mix well with Chevy engines.

Saeulfr

Reaction score
Yeah I've driven Dodge and Jeep all my life. The hd won't work with Chevy cause different input and output shafts

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are open to rebuilding yours, www.quad4x4.com is the place to go, they sell a rebuild manual, special tools, all parts, etc.

92-95 GM has its own unique transmission to bellhousing bolt pattern. Therefore to swap to a 96+ (that shares a transmission to bellhousing pattern with Dodge) you will need to swap bellhousings as well, and probably need to swap to the clutch hydraulics of a 96+. you might get away with swapping lines and slaves, but IDK the displacement of the masters from year to year, so to play it safe it will need swapped too.

As far as the transmission "deciding" it doesnt want synchros anymore, you didnt happen to change oil prior to that, did you?

The NV4500 has carbon fiber synchronizers that require special oil (GM PN 12346190) the Amsoil MTG is the only aftermarket oil I have tried that actually is comparable. I'd call it 95-98 percent as good shift quality as the OEM oil.

bamabound

Reaction score
another good site is www.nv4500.com for oil and rebuilds.
also not sure how close u are to indy but they have a pull a part. i'm down in AL & i've seen 2 or 3 nv4500s in the last yr go thru & about the same for the nv3500.