NV4500 2wd to 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarioGMC

Reaction score
Hi everybody!!!
I'm back on the forum after a bit of time, as said before, i'd like to throw away the 4l80e i have on my '97 Sierra K3500 6.5 TD and do a manual conversion. The truck is equipped with 4L80E gearbox and a Borg Warner tranfer case.
I've found a NV4500 that was on a 2wd truck. I noticed that the version for the 4wd is different.
Is it possible to convert a 2wd nv4500 into a 4wd version? Do you just need to change the rear end?

I did some researches on the web but i've found very different opinions about...so i'm a bit confused and i decided to ask here.

I have some pics of the gearbox :

You must be registered for see images attach

I know that buying a 4wd version should be the best way to do the job but, trust me, here in Italy (and generally in Europe) it's not easy to find this kind of parts.

Thank you in advance!!!

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Few mods that can be made with that version I believe. There’s an AA tail and you need to cut some off the rear main shaft.

The correct way is new main shaft and a new tail housing. Of course while you’re in there a rebuild is wise.
I purchased a 2wd 4500 a few months back. Came to the conclusion I paid so little for it , it was wiser to sell it off and put the money toward a native 4x. Reason being a main shaft wasn’t cheap and I didn’t have a bell. Locating and paying for the Bell housing pretty much ruined and cost offset I was looking at by finding the 2wd version.