Nv3500 to nv4500 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96cheyene

Reaction score
I was thinking about swapping my nv3500 out of my k1500 with an nv4500 out of a k2500. Has anybody done this kind of swap and what issues did yall run into doing the swap as far as fitment.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
As long as you match slave cylinder designs its a direct bolt-in (Internal slave to internal slave or external to external)

What years are your two trucks?

Edit, you will also have to modify the cross-member slightly with a drill when swapping.

96cheyene

Reaction score
As long as you match slave cylinder designs its a direct bolt-in (Internal slave to internal slave or external to external)

What years are your two trucks?

Edit, you will also have to modify the cross-member slightly with a drill when swapping.
K1500 is a 96 and the k2500 is a 2000

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
That should be an easy swap then, anything after 95 had the internal slave.

I'd recommend changing all the clutch parts while your in there also... clutch, resurface or new flywheel, slave, throwout, hydraulic line, etc.

bamabound

Reaction score
I agree with everything RichLo says & will add if you were worrying about it fitting, I've seen several 1500s that came with nv4500s

96cheyene

Reaction score
That should be an easy swap then, anything after 95 had the internal slave.

I'd recommend changing all the clutch parts while your in there also... clutch, resurface or new flywheel, slave, throwout, hydraulic line, etc.
I've got a new master cylinder and hydraulic line that's not even a year old but would definitely go ahead and replace the other things to avoid the trouble of taking it all apart again. Would I need to modify anything else other than the cross member?

96cheyene

Reaction score
I agree with everything RichLo says & will add if you were worrying about it fitting, I've seen several 1500s that came with nv4500s
I've seen a couple heavy halfs running around town with six lug wheels and a heavy duty driveline and suspension

bamabound

Reaction score
96cheyene, you are correct. GM RPO code F44 is for heavy duty chassis & will get you a 6 lug 14 bolt SF rear.

96cheyene

Reaction score
I have a 94 5.7 with the NV4500 newbie question I'm sure, but it needs a new clutch. Being the HD tranny does it need a special clutch?
I think as long as you get the clutch for that specific transmission you should be good, if you're replacing the clutch you might as well spend the extra money and replace the rear main seal, throw out bearing and slave cylinder if you have an internal slave. I made the mistake of only doing the clutch and spent $1600 to have the internal slave cylinder and hydraulic system replaced at a shop