nv3500 differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
in addition to my frank'n truck project I am also working on a 95 2nd gen ram 1500 regular cab short bed rear wheel drive. the truck was free has a system shaved door handles fiberglass bed cover rolpan sport mirors an all black interior with a dark grey dash manual windows locks. like all 2nd gens the dash is all but gone for some reason it dose not have the famous or infamous 2nd gen death wobble steering. it was born a v6 manual the v6 is coming out and a v8 is going keeping the manual trans. 2nd gen 1500 were never offered with the 5.9 v8 and a manual only 3.9 v6 or (5.2 318) v8 could be had with a manual on a 1/2 ton. you had to get a 3/4 or 1 ton for that they used the nv4500. the point of this post is to get second opinions as stated 5.9 magnum was not mated with the nv3500 how ever at gm the 5.7 vortec was and it was just fine. all the mopar people say unless you stay stock or you baby it the 360 will kill the trans 360s are rated around any where between 230-250hp and 335-345 torque 5.7 vortec rated 255hp 330 torque I fail to see the problem I am being warned about it seems the mopar people are split down the middle on it some say it will be just fine and they have not had any problems with their swap and others say it is no good. my thinking is if it can handle a 350 vortec it can handle a 360 magnum.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People here are split on whether the NV3500 will survive behind a 350. You know your driving style. Will it handle you?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got about 100 miles on a turbo 5.3 with an NV3500. It won't blow up instantly, I can say that. I have no traction so that is probably helping it survive. My project is also about 500 lbs lighter than the truck the trans came out of, which helps a bit.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
well it will not be used for work more of every now and then fun driver the last owner had installed a throttle body spacer what everyone like to call a ( an ebay special hot are intake hahaha) a jegs off road y pipe and a single in dual out flowmaster. I do not plan to race it maybe show off a bit from time to time. even though it is a rcsb it has gvwr 6400 I do not know what curb weight is. I was told torque is not the factor the weight of the truck also plays a part. with all that being said I am going to run with it till it breaks I would really like a 6 speed but that is way out of the budget a junk yard nv4500 is in the future I just hope it is not any time soon. the fiberglass bed cover 305 40 22s and huge speaker/sub box behind the 2 seats do not help the weight but the rcsb and rollpan instead of a bumper might