NV3500 breaking point?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMT400KING

Reaction score
What is the most horsepower anyone has put to the NV3500 without failure? Just curious how long my NV3500 will last with my new engine build?

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
438hp at the flywheel of mine. 3 years going, still doing fine. Has 285k on it to

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I've broken 2 manual transmissions (Not a GMT400 but in a SBC Fiero swap and a 3.4 DOHC Fiero swap) and learned that its not so much how much HP you have, its how you put that power to the ground. The v8 broke dumping the clutch on the starting line and the v6 swap sheared 2nd gear power shifting.

If you dump the clutch somethings going to break loose, either the tires, u-joints, rear end or transmission. But if you let the clutch out normally then get into it hard you'll 'baby' all of your weak links and go fast. So dont dump it and dont power shift.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
NV3500 MG5 has a input torque of 300ft-lbs. with my stock 350 pulling 212hp @4000 and 300ft-lbs @2800 I have had two fail and one of those went out leaving me with only 4th gear. I swapped it with a NV4500 MW3 2004 model. NV4500 can handle 475ft-lbs. Now, I'm in the process of building up my NV4500 to handle 613ft-lbs with moding the input shaft, counter shaft, third gear and main shaft. Now I might can come up with a way to beef up the NV3500. I just have to open the two I have here and see what failed and mod it.

eshaw

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack your thread but I'm curious how the full size NV3500 compares to the one in the V6. I'm under the impression that there's a difference in 1st gear, but how about the others? I have the V6 model and they are hard to come by in the 4x4 version, well 2wd also and would like to know what would interchange if it was to break.

brianmcb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack your thread but I'm curious how the full size NV3500 compares to the one in the V6. I'm under the impression that there's a difference in 1st gear, but how about the others? I have the V6 model and they are hard to come by in the 4x4 version, well 2wd also and would like to know what would interchange if it was to break.
Mine is a v6 version. 438hp going into it

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
They are one in the same. the only difference will be the final gear ratio. For example, If on guy has a 5.3L and another has a 4.8L. Both have the same 4L60E but the 5.3L has 3.23:1 final and the 4.8 has 3.42:1 final. Using these two because they both in my front yard.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
The most important thing to remember, its not how much HP you have, its how much torque you putting into the transmission you are using. Reminder, NV3500 has 300ft-lbs input torque. I like to go 10% less then the tranny back. I also like to make my build from the rear wheels forward and tune the engine to meet it. Most OBS like to start with the engine back. You spend more time and money fixing broken things then to your goal.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put probably 30k miles on a 1989 NV3500/HM290 with a ~400 crank hp small block, including towing and autocross. The transmission had 155000 miles on it when I swapped in the built engine. It was still fine when I sold it.

I'll echo the comments about it not being about the power, but more about how much you abuse it. Mine was never power shifted and, with wide sticky tires, was always launched conservatively. All downshifts were double clutched. Doesn't mean I didn't use the power, but shock load, incorrect oil, or low oil is what kills them.