np246 banging in 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon98

Reaction score
Update and question. New t case is in but front prop shaft (on the old case) wouldn't come out since the yoke is seized in. Is the yoke the same from the 4l80e parts truck. The shaft is not as it is longer but I can't match up the yoke. Can I swap my shaft to the other yoke. I think only the shaft should be different. U joints are the same 98-02.

Last edited:

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your parts truck have a np246 case? I have never dealt with a 246 behind a 4l80E, but I understand they were available. A quick google of the yoke seems to indicate the yoke did not change from 98-07.

Yukon98

Reaction score
Yes, same np246. I'm thinking they just used a longer shaft up front to compensate for the longer 80e. From what I can see the yoke is same and same u joints. I'll grab a new joint and put it together at work then install it when I get home. A couple thingsI found before I took the my old tcase out was I was getting a clunk on take off. Thought it was my rear diff starting to get sloppy so I had been easily starting off at stop lights. But that's gone now. And also when doing some last minute diag the case/trans Assy in 4wd had heavy movement when switching between drive and reverse.