Np246 autotrak issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last year I changed out my transfer case cuz the last one was tore up. Pretty much was blown up, bearings rolling around loose and chain rubbing the casing. The replacement seemed good, actually watched the guy pull it apart check everything and put it back together. So I put it in and tested it and it seemed ok. Hadn’t used it since, fast forward to this weekend I went to South Padre Island and I put it in 4hi, the sumbitch sounded like the last one, like the chain was jumping. Ugh!!
So I’m guessing this is not good, I was about to pull the shift encoder motor and try a different one just to test if it just wasn’t engaging and try and save $850 for a new transfer case. I was moving the front driveshaft and noticed about 3/16in of vertical or horizontal movement from the output shaft, I have a video but couldn’t upload it. Sound like a new transfer case is in order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
those are not hard to rebuild yourself
Yea I know, but I really don’t have the time to have my truck not running, I use it for work and I found one for $950 with a heavy duty aluminum rear case, a 24/24 warranty and it’s professionally built so I really just want to make sure it’s right

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
’ve been looking this up before I drop $950 on a new tc, I found an old discussion from 2012 on gmc4x4.com where a guy says the tc has 3 vehicle speed sensors, one at the tailshaft, front driveshaft, and another that goes through the abs via the wheel speed sensors. Is this correct? Does it sound correct? If it is, that could partially explain any issues I would guess. I really don’t see how except for maybe auto 4wd where the different wheel speeds would help to engage 4wd.
You must be registered for see images attach

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have a trip scheduled in late August to Colorado and I really need to have my 4wd functioning