Northern 91

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Vieja

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Working on the vortecs. Pulled the old springs, retainers, and seals off and trashed them.

Cleaned up the chambers

Knocked all the carbon build-up off the old valves. Hoping to re-use these. Shoe-string budget.

91Vieja

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Back together with new springs and seals. Work situation is changing, so progress on this truck will either dramatically pick up the pace, or stop altogether. Hopefully the former.

91Vieja

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sprayed the front wheel wells with asphalt undercoat today, the whole frame and underside of the body now is done - ready for winter salt hell. Front end is looking tired. Time for new shocks, ball joints, and bushings soon.

91Vieja

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the electric 4x4 actuator upgrade today. Easy job, most difficult part was finding the right wire to splice, since all the old ones under the truck had faded to the same color. All the write-ups for this I’ve seen have been for 96 and up, which has you splice at the transfer case switch. On my 91, the brown wire on the diagram was not at that location. Instead I spliced just after the 3-blade connector coming from the 4x4 light in the cabin on the drivers side of the transmission tunnel. Hopefully that helps someone in the future.

91Vieja

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI, the part numbers I used were Dorman 600101 for the actuator, and 600600 for the retrofit harness. This is what comes in the box:

91Vieja

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I also found a sizeable coolant leak. Seems to be coming from the driver’s side head, but I’ll have to verify. Not happy about that, as I was hoping to postpone my heads/manifold/cam swap until spring when it isn’t -20C out, but alas...

91Vieja

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Been awhile without an update. Took the truck out wheeling in the bush to escape COVID. Still lots of snow around. Replaced the washer fluid pump, and chased down a bunch of interior rattles & squeaks.