North Fl. n00b

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaydee1445

Reaction score
My son and I picked up our first GMT 400 from UCF about 5 years ago on Govdeals while we were still buying and flipping used crap on Fleabay. The 98 Burb was a retired C2500 454 from Fl. Hwy Patrol. The college had it listed as dealer only and we were the only dealer interested so we snagged it for the $100 opening bid. The big block had a blown head gasket and bent pushrods from sitting with water in the cylinders. We put it on the back burner while we sourced a BT6 to swap into it.
The next truck isn't a GMT400 but a 87 C2500 Suburan with a 350 and TH400. This truck spent it's days doing perimeter patrols at Polk Correctional and only shows 60K on the ODO. Again another Govdeals steal.
Before I could retire to North Fl and give it the love it needed he found #3, a nice 96 GMC extended cab 2500 6.5. It had been donated to Lively Tech. in Tallahassee and it was too cheap to pass up. He likes the diesel and daily drives it along with his Jeep XJ.
While the 2 Suburbans sat ignored we rebuilt 3 2001 Jeep XJs for him, my wife, and me. We did find a first gen Cummins BT6 donor and did more research on the swap into a GMT400. Although the swap is possible in the 2wd it seems like a 4wd would be less cutting and fabbing so the search for the right truck started.
Post COVID isn't the time to buy a used OBS 2500 Suburban and I looked at a lot of crap before I found a reasonable deal on #4 a solid 93 K2500 Cheyenne that started life as a Gator at UF. The dash is bad and the paint is as much surface rust and gray primer as white topcoat but no rust through. She shows 165 k but is mechanically strong. 5.7 fires right up cold, trans rebuilt, transfer case and 1/2 shafts are good,and rear end is good.
After some shrewd negotiation we meet in the middle for the $2200 he spent to rebuild and replace some hard parts in the tranny. It's a semi float 14 in the back but the FF from the 98 should drop in. Right rear door dented and the 2 fronts have holes from 2 different towing mirror setup but the 98 doors are nice.

Last edited:

jaydee1445

Reaction score
WE all like pictures too! Sounds like a great truck... or two, or 4!
I'll take more pics later but here is one of Gator with new Wallyworld Wranglers. Prison square body in the background shows a couple years of neglect. The Authority AT LT265/75R16 are 32" x 10.5" are agressive for ATs ( more so than some mudders) and fill the wheel wells. Nothing bigger would fit stock and I may still have to trim or lift some once I see if they scrub while flexed. The load Index :120 ride much better than the Load E I had on my 04 2500HD.
Ordering barn door hinge pin puller to swap doors off 98 FHP while I finish stripping it. They are straighter, have factory tint, and power locks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
No such thing as too many Burbs ( see my signature LoL!). Granted, this collection we had started in '79 with the 75 that came to us Cadillac powered, then really got going in the 90s; the 79 came into the family in 89, then the 84 followed in 92.

jaydee1445

Reaction score
Bought the cheaper $37 hinge puller on fleabay, probably should have ponied up the extra $20 for the dbl.arrow. I snapped the bolt head off and had to drill it out and dig around in the bolt bucket for a replacement on 3rd hinge on FHP. Puller weld broke on first hinge on Gator. In all fairness I Don't think any tool would have worked, the pins were rusted solid and had snapped in two. Ended up cutting the door side hinge just above the bushing with 4" angle grinder (along wit my finger TWICE) and then drill the remaining pin left in the body side. Once pin was drilled most of the diameter is was malleable enough to drive out with pointy air hammer chisel.
Got the driver door installed temporarily while waiting on bushings and pass bushing installed. Pin and bushing kit is Dorman 38467. I'll get the straight bumper and heavier hitch from the 98 wrapped up today.
Not going to get anything else done until I replace ABS module and drivers factory seat cover on 2010 Colorado 4x4 crew I bought from Jacksonville PD. (another institutional truck) I'm getting it ready to list it in time for someone's tax refunds to pay me all the $$.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: