Non- A/C Heater Box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Alright so my stuff through work is not yielding me an answer, did they make a non-a/c heater box for under the dash? I eliminated all but the evap core from my a/c system. I'd love to get rid of that too with either OEM parts or possibly even making a block off for it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They had non-A/C trucks all the way to the end of the GMT400 generation. There are late 90's AT&T work trucks being sold at auction that are non-A/C. That's gotta be criminal, expecting those dudes to work in SE TX all day long with no A/C.

Firewall doesn't even have the holes punched for the evap lines..

You must be registered for see images attach

If you want your heat to work correctly you'll want a non-A/C donor truck to get -everything- from as of course the control head is different, actuators are different, etc. along with the box itself.

Richard

Last edited:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I'm not so much worried about heat either lol. Truck will be driven in spring/summer/early fall. Won't see temps below 50's.

From the looks of it the parts are all discontinued and I can't get #'s so I will more than likely fab something out of aluminum to block off the evap core and still have my current box function.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
They had non-A/C trucks all the way to the end of the GMT400 generation. There are late 90's AT&T work trucks being sold at auction that are non-A/C. That's gotta be criminal, expecting those dudes to work in SE TX all day long with no A/C.

Firewall doesn't even have the holes punched for the evap lines..

You must be registered for see images attach

If you want your heat to work correctly you'll want a non-A/C donor truck to get -everything- from as of course the control head is different, actuators are different, etc. along with the box itself.

Richard

I had no idea there was a complete differnt system for non-AC. I thought that was more of an old car thing, where AC was more of the exception than the standard.

I also had no idea that an alternator would bolt in the area of the compressor....looks like maybe there are some adapter brackets in there.

Matt98

Reaction score
I believe for the most part the AC/Non AC heater boxes are the same in all GMT 400 trucks. I can confirm this tomorrow, I'll be putting an AC box out of a 98 in my 92 with no ac. The controls are different in the earlier ones without AC anyhow, as they are cable vs electric on the ac/new ones. However the design of the box still has provisions for screws where the actuators would go

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are late 90's AT&T work trucks being sold at auction that are non-A/C. That's gotta be criminal, expecting those dudes to work in SE TX all day long with no A/C.
I can go one better. Back in 2008 the Air Force bought us bobtail F350s for towing equipment on the flightline with no AC in Oklahoma. The flightline in the summer sun is about 110°F. We paid $8000 per vehicle to have four vehicles retrofitted with AC.

If you're removing both the heater and AC, use some CAD (cardboard-aided design) and make a block-off plate. No sense in trying to track down rare parts unless you're heading to the car show, and nobody goes to car shows to see a poverty-spec truck.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can go one better. Back in 2008 the Air Force bought us bobtail F350s for towing equipment on the flightline with no AC in Oklahoma. The flightline in the summer sun is about 110°F. We paid $8000 per vehicle to have four vehicles retrofitted with AC.

If you're removing both the heater and AC, use some CAD (cardboard-aided design) and make a block-off plate. No sense in trying to track down rare parts unless you're heading to the car show, and nobody goes to car shows to see a poverty-spec truck.
A few small plates to cover the firewall holes for the evap lines and heater core lines and a handful of speed nuts to retain the HVAC ductwork box screws and he's in business. Full-time fresh air intake is where it's at. Or simply pull the cowl plastic up and reach in there to cover over the opening with some foil duct tape. :D

A lifetime ago I put a '69 Chevelle back on the road that had the A/C stuff stripped from it. In that example a large rectangular hole was left in the firewall. I screwed a sheetmetal gas station number sign into its place. Ya know, back when gas price signs had those flip number panels..

Richard

Matt98

Reaction score
Alright I’ve done my swap today...my factory non A/C truck (92) has the exact same box as one with A/C (98), the difference being the actual mode doors have levers moulded on instead of a piece to add an actuator, as well as the blower housing has a slightly different recirculate door as it’s for the floor vent in the non Ac. The box simply has an open hole on the bottom hole and a plastic cap inserted in the upper evap hole and just an empty space where it would’ve been.