Noise in my transfer case? 1998 K1500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been hearing a weird metallic kinking kind of sound lately when I’m driving the car a low speeds. I couldn’t figure out where it comes from.

Last weekend I put the rear on jacks to check the drum brakes and I finally found the source of the noise. As I turn the drive shaft there is this noise that sound like something is broken off and as the driveshaft turns it kicks it around. The noise comes from the rear, the bell shaped part of the transfer case.

I’ve searched the internet for something similar and the closest I could find is this video:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It is a different transfer case in the video but the noise I hear is almost identical to the noise the broken retaining ring makes as the guy pours it out of the bell @4:40

Also the output shaft seal is leaking.

Other than the noise the car seems to be driving fine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Any ideas on what could be broken inside?

Is it possible to take off the rear bell shaped part without completely removing the transfer case?

It looks like there are different kind of transfer cases used in these cars, how do I find out the exact type of the TC I have?
I believe it looks like this; ebay

I will be going on a 2k mile trip in about a month. It is probably prudent to address the problem before the trip.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update...

After doing more research and understanding what a transfer case is and how it works (ive never had a truck before), I found one video that explained step by step how to remove it. Its a bit different on the suburban comparing to trucks as there is less space and can not just simply unbolted and taken out. The transmission support crossbar has to be moved in order to have enough space to lower the transfer case.

So, I jacked up the transmission, unbolted everything and out it came. Nice and dirty.

Well, this doesn't sound too good :oops:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

After some elbow grease, engine cleaner, and pressure washer it looks much better.

It is safe to assume that I've found the problem:eek:

The rear output shaft bearing decided to disintegrate.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was expecting to find it in much worse condition but all parts looks good except the bearings seem to be not in best condition.
Now I'm just waiting for the rebuild kit and the oil pump fix plate to arrive and hopefully I can reassemble it next weekend.

Thanks for checking in, I hope this helps someone.

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this exact same symptom happen to a 2000 escalade I owned back in 2012. Same problem too! Carrier bearing went out due to a common problem in a manufacturer defect. I forgot the exact issue but something about a retaining tab can break off and get up into the bearings causing premature failure. If you have shift forks I would replace the feet in them as well. It's a wear item that should be addressed while taking the T-case apart. The hardest thing I could remember about that process was the casing retaining ring being a PITA to get off and to re-install. Everything else seemed to come right apart. I would look over the chain slack and the rest of the bearings while your in there as well. A lot of break cleaner can come in handy. Don't skimp on the correct T-case fluids. The GM OEM fluid is expensive but worth it. Looking good though!

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, that casing retaining ring was a PITA to get it off as I didn't have the proper snap ring pliers. But, whit a bit of backyard engineering and copious amount of coursing it came out. what made it extra difficult is that due to failed bearing the ring started to chew into the soft casing.
I will get a complete rebuild kit and get all the bearings, seals, oil pump fix plate, and the shift fork plastic thingies, although they don't look worn at all, as a matter of fact it looks way nicer inside than i expected it to look, even the oil pump metal tab is intact and in good condition.

The only problem I have is whit the pilot bearing in the rear half of the case. I don't have a pilot bearing puller (yet). Do you remember how hard was it to get it out? Any way of getting it out whiteout spending more money on a tool that I wont be using any time soon? No local place has it as a loaner tool either.

I had this exact same symptom happen to a 2000 escalade I owned back in 2012. Same problem too! Carrier bearing went out due to a common problem in a manufacturer defect. I forgot the exact issue but something about a retaining tab can break off and get up into the bearings causing premature failure. If you have shift forks I would replace the feet in them as well. It's a wear item that should be addressed while taking the T-case apart. The hardest thing I could remember about that process was the casing retaining ring being a PITA to get off and to re-install. Everything else seemed to come right apart. I would look over the chain slack and the rest of the bearings while your in there as well. A lot of break cleaner can come in handy. Don't skimp on the correct T-case fluids. The GM OEM fluid is expensive but worth it. Looking good though!

BPR Speed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would get a bearing/race puller. There's no easy way to get that out. If you're concerned with damaging it, check to see if it's damaged. It may be better to leave it if it's looking healthy. That oil pump tab is what I remember going out and killing things. Did you have a replacement for that in the rebuild kit?

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That bearing seems fine but I don't know for sure how the new one supposed to look. My common sense tells me to get the puller and replace everything, it would be a bummer if I had to pull the whole thing out again just because I didn't do it right the first time.

The Case Saver Plate is not part of the kit, I have to order it separately.
Its kind of ridiculous that that thin piece of metal cost over $30 . There is also an aftermarket part that replaces part of the pump housing but the cost of that is over $100. :oops: