No-Start Vortec 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bEnC10

Reaction score
No it’s okay! Thanks for trying, I learned quite a bit. I’m not too sure what’s going to and like I said this was my first ever time doing anything with automotive so I’m almost there. Once I get it tuned, it’s my last chance at trying to get this dang thing working. If it does good then cool, if not then I’m quiting

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, maybe for you when you gap your rings at 1/2" for boost :biggrin: Just kidding.

You should crank until the needle stops climbing - 3 or 4 seconds.

Try a new set of plugs and see what happens. A simple cleaning on them doesn't always clear the fowling.

I can be wrong (I have been before, ha ha) but, I'm still leaning towards the valves are set too tight, been there done that.

A lit propane torch will easily clean fuel fouled plugs.

As for the valves, if they were too tight for it to run there would be zero compression.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pop your driver's side valve cover off. You'll have to slide the A/C compressor forward on its studs a bit for it to clear. Turn the engine until the timing mark is at TDC. Check to see if both lifters are down. If so, put the distributor at #1. If the intake valve is slightly open - check carefully because it's hard to see - then set the distributor at #6.

bEnC10

Reaction score
Okay I pulled the cover and set the crank to TDC, I do see both lifters down and took off the distributor cap but it is already facing one. Does that mean it’s already in time?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Also, I like to use a straight-edge across both lifters to ensure they are down. They don't rise much at that point, but with a straight-edge you can see it.