no start, nothing when I turn the key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need some more details - your thread title says "no-start-nothing..." does that mean it doesn't crank at all? Does it make a clicking sound or no sound at all? If it doesn't make any sound at all, check your neutral safety switch.

Unkel Dale

Reaction score
Year make and model would help out quite a bit here. 14.32 volts is kinda high for a battery that is not hooked to a working alternator. Max voltage you should see is around 12.6-12.7. When you turn the key on do any of the lights come on on the instrument cluster? Any fuses blown? Do you have power to the fuse block? Is the electrical part of the ignition switch working? Have you tried doing a voltage drop test on your batter cables? Are all of you grounds in good shape? Do you have power going to the starter when you turn the key to start?
Turn the key and get nothing, nothing, fuses look proper, did not check continuity at the fuse box, did not check power to the starter

Unkel Dale

Reaction score
I realize you're stressed and trying to get your truck figured out, but being short with someone who is chiming in (and has a fair amount of knowledge) isn't a good route. While he didn't outright say it, I took it as him implying that the battery could be shot, which is definitely helpful. Check your battery, not just voltage, and the terminals and wires going to it. When you say nothing, do you mean no dash lights or any response at all? Or do you mean no crank?
absolutely nothing

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
year and model? If you turn the key to on, but don't try to start it, does the dash light up and radio come on? I'm wondering if it could be a problem with the ignition switch.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Since he has been very thorough on the Nothing, Nada, Zip, No Power at all, Absolutely Nothing... Nothing! Nothing Dammit!!

I Assume that he means the dash lights and radio comes on. :rolleyes: Sorry I had to.

Unkel Dale

Reaction score
year and model? If you turn the key to on, but don't try to start it, does the dash light up and radio come on? I'm wondering if it could be a problem with the ignition switch.
1996 k2500 silverado 5.7 auto tranny, no lights nothing... I'M OLD ,,, NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE ever

Unkel Dale

Reaction score
We need some more details - your thread title says "no-start-nothing..." does that mean it doesn't crank at all? Does it make a clicking sound or no sound at all? If it doesn't make any sound at all, check your neutral safety switch.
no sound nothing, no lights no clicks

Unkel Dale

Reaction score
Since he has been very thorough on the Nothing, Nada, Zip, No Power at all, Absolutely Nothing... Nothing! Nothing Dammit!!

I Assume that he means the dash lights and radio comes on. :rolleyes: Sorry I had to.
no they, the ligts or radio, do not power up

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your ignition switch. Make sure there is power getting to it. All your power gets turned on via that. If no power there, yhats where I'd start. If power is getting there, chech and see if its leaving there to the accessories. If not, your switch is bad.

Get the battery checked. Voltage along will NOT tell you if the battery is good. If it's got no amperage(cca reading, or ca) it will not work, period. Take it out and bring it to a parts store and get it tested as they can load test it. And as mentioned 14+ volts is to much to be reading from a battery that is just sitting there not in the process of being charged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk