no start, nothing when I turn the key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If you're repeatedly draining the battery it's going to go bad sooner rather than later. Automotive batteries aren't designed for a deep discharge.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Due to you calling the last response "not helpful," I'm assuming you've had the battery load tested?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ This and if it checked out good then you've checked and cleaned both connections on the battery and cleaned the connections on the frame and starter?

Unkel Dale

Reaction score
battery is fine, holding 14.32 volts, connections are clean Don't know what else to type here. my conclusion it is not the battery

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Voltage isn't a full indicator of battery health. If you haven't taken the battery to a parts store and had them load test it (which they will do for free) then that would be my first step. You can have a good voltage reading but not enough available cranking amps to turn the starter.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
battery is fine, holding 14.32 volts, connections are clean Don't know what else to type here. my conclusion it is not the battery
Year make and model would help out quite a bit here. 14.32 volts is kinda high for a battery that is not hooked to a working alternator. Max voltage you should see is around 12.6-12.7. When you turn the key on do any of the lights come on on the instrument cluster? Any fuses blown? Do you have power to the fuse block? Is the electrical part of the ignition switch working? Have you tried doing a voltage drop test on your batter cables? Are all of you grounds in good shape? Do you have power going to the starter when you turn the key to start?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While your statement is completely true, it is not helpful. Answers please
I realize you're stressed and trying to get your truck figured out, but being short with someone who is chiming in (and has a fair amount of knowledge) isn't a good route. While he didn't outright say it, I took it as him implying that the battery could be shot, which is definitely helpful. Check your battery, not just voltage, and the terminals and wires going to it. When you say nothing, do you mean no dash lights or any response at all? Or do you mean no crank?