No start, no crank, no dash lights after battery disconnected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnDenver

Reaction score
Glad you got it figured - we don't expect batteries to croak like that but sometimes they do.

To answer some of your earlier questions, that is absolutely not how Passlock behaves, for future reference. Passlock will allow the engine to crank normally and start, but for just a moment, then it will stall.

Your '98 has Passlock; all '98 year model GMT400's have it (and all the years afterwards through the very last of the GMT400 line, which believe it or not continued in the U.S. until '02 at least with the 3500HD.)

I don't recognize that box you're holding in the pic, it's definitely not factory, and you're probably correct that it is related to your aftermarket antitheft system. If it's still working you could probably leave it alone. If you want to remove it, dedicate some time when you can afford for the truck to be down in case you run into issues tracing the wires to put them back to factory configuration so the truck will start again once it's removed.

Richard

Thanks for your the confirmation on the Passlock. It wasn’t seeming right for that, but I didn’t expect anything off with the battery since I’ve had no issues before with it.

I think I will leave the other anti theft thing alone. It’s not too intrusive, except when I forget to tell a mechanic about it and he has to ask how to start it!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a "deep cycle" AGM, no matter what they advertise. AGMs don't tolerate a full drain well. When checking for parasitic draw, a test light is much more valuable than a meter.