No start issue 92 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
Here's some background information. Truck ran fine when parked about two months ago. When I tried to start it near the end of last month it cranked but wouldn't start. After some troubleshooting I discovered it didn't have spark. Replaced the coil cap and rotor and now have spark.

When I try to start now it cranks, but acts like it's out of time. I have double checked the wires on the plugs and cap and they are correct I believe. Clockwise I have 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2. I pulled all the plugs out and they look dry with no to minimal carbon deposits on them. I'm quite sure this is an electrical issue, because when I crank the engine with the injectors unplugged it cranks like normal.

Where should I be looking to troubleshoot and fix this problem?

Thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's some background information. Truck ran fine when parked about two months ago. When I tried to start it near the end of last month it cranked but wouldn't start. After some troubleshooting I discovered it didn't have spark. Replaced the coil cap and rotor and now have spark.
You have spark. Do you also have injector spray?

When I try to start now it cranks, but acts like it's out of time. I have double checked the wires on the plugs and cap and they are correct I believe. Clockwise I have 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2.
Correct order. Are they on the correct distributor cap terminals?

I pulled all the plugs out and they look dry with no to minimal carbon deposits on them. I'm quite sure this is an electrical issue, because when I crank the engine with the injectors unplugged it cranks like normal.
How does it crank with the injectors plugged in?

Where should I be looking to troubleshoot and fix this problem?
I would verify fuel pressure, and connect a scan tool to see what the computer has to say. Is it getting an RPM signal? Do all of the sensor readings make sense? (i.e., is the coolant temp sensor saying that it thinks the temperature is forty below zero? Does the TPS think the throttle is half open at idle? And so forth for each sensor except the O2 sensor, which won't work until it's been heated up.)

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
You have spark. Do you also have injector spray?
Yes when they're plugged in.

Correct order. Are they on the correct distributor cap terminals?
I believe so.
You must be registered for see images attach

How does it crank with the injectors plugged in?
It turns over but acts like the spark plugs are firing out of time causing it to turn over hard. With them unplugged it cranks like normal.

I would verify fuel pressure, and connect a scan tool to see what the computer has to say. Is it getting an RPM signal? Do all of the sensor readings make sense? (i.e., is the coolant temp sensor saying that it thinks the temperature is forty below zero? Does the TPS think the throttle is half open at idle? And so forth for each sensor except the O2 sensor, which won't work until it's been heated up.)
I'm in the process of getting a scan tool, but don't have one yet.

Junkie2100

Reaction score
id do a quick sanity check on the timing, pull the plugs, or at least the #1 plug but itll be easier with all of them out, jam your finger in the #1 hole, spin the engine by hand till you feel pressure, then keep going to the 0 timing mark, pull the cap off the distributor and look at which wire its pointing at, that should be where your 1 is

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id do a quick sanity check on the timing, pull the plugs, or at least the #1 plug but itll be easier with all of them out, jam your finger in the #1 hole, spin the engine by hand till you feel pressure, then keep going to the 0 timing mark, pull the cap off the distributor and look at which wire its pointing at, that should be where your 1 is
Or just connect a timing light to #1, have someone crank the engine while you verify appropriate base timing.

Arctic Fox

Reaction score
I really feel like a genius. My wires were offset by one post. Lesson learned there. Started right up after that was corrected. Later on it started dieing randomly - turns out the ICM also needed to be replaced. Now it's running good.