No start after oil pump replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donaven361

Reaction score
Just replaced my oil pump.

And yes the engine has been rebuilt before, not all 400k are on these internals lol. But they didn't do the oil pump.

However, I just buttoned everything up and went to start the truck up. NO start. I have no idea why not. I know for a fact I'm getting fuel. But spark I'm not sure of, took a spark plug out and didn't see a spark. Idk how I could've affected the ignition system replacing the oil pump, I drop the oil pan and swapped the pump out, didn't touch anything else.

I'm thinking I may have spun the distrubutor shaft when swapping the pumps out? But could that even affect anything?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Did you pull the distributor out? if not then you cant really spin it out of time.

Does it spin over quickly? IIRC the computer needs to see some oil pressure before it fires up, if you see oil pressure on the gauge its enough.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you pull the distributor out? if not then you cant really spin it out of time.
True.

Does it spin over quickly? IIRC the computer needs to see some oil pressure before it fires up, if you see oil pressure on the gauge its enough.
Only if the fuel pump relay circuit is faulty. Otherwise, the relay circuit turns the pump on when the ECM gets an RPM signal.

And he says he's getting fuel.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you touch the crankshaft position sensor? It's near the bottom on the driver side not too far from the oil pan.

Do you have a scanner that can read live data. I think you should see RPM signal when cranking.

Actually, before anything, confirm if you have spark or not.

Peewee0413

Reaction score
Oil pump on a 97? Did it have the plastic piece for the shaft? Or an aftermarket intermediate shaft? your dizzy even turning?

Donaven361

Reaction score

No I didn't touch the distrubutor other than linking the new ahaft up to it. And it spins, and the timing is set to TDC on nr. 1 cylinder.

Donaven361

Reaction score
Did you touch the crankshaft position sensor? It's near the bottom on the driver side not too far from the oil pan.

Do you have a scanner that can read live data. I think you should see RPM signal when cranking.

Actually, before anything, confirm if you have spark or not.
I have spark intermittently, tested 3 different spark plugs. On the third test, the engine started. Went to try again, and no start.

Donaven361

Reaction score
The entire ignition system from battery to spark plugs is practically brand new. Worked completely fine before I went to do the pump. And now, all of a sudden something isn't right

Peewee0413

Reaction score
The entire ignition system from battery to spark plugs is practically brand new. Worked completely fine before I went to do the pump. And now, all of a sudden something isn't right
Are you getting sputters like it wants to start?