No start after gasket replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike99tahoe

Reaction score
have a 99 tahoe 5.7 vortec and I just recently replaced the lower intake gaskets after I put everything back together it doesn't start I set the tdc and the distributor at tje #1 spark plug still won't start it has fuel and spark checked all my grounds and plugs everything good any info on what it might be thanks

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
180° out

Rotate the engine until the timing mark is on tdc but the rotor is pointing opposite of #1. Reset the timing to #1.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your firing order,. If you have spark and you have fuel. Then your timing is out somewhere.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your firing order,. If you have spark and you have fuel. Then your timing is out somewhere.

That or no compression, did you adjust the valves? I had that happen when I first built my 5.7, the valves were set too tight.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That or no compression, did you adjust the valves? I had that happen when I first built my 5.7, the valves were set too tight.
You might be on to something. I wonder how long he (assumably) ran with water in the oil. Could have cooked the rings. I'd do a compression check just to be safe

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do the spark plugs look like

Try starting it on either

Try starting with the throttle wide open

And don't forget flip the dizzy back around in case you had it right the first time. And if you can don't be afraid to wiggle back and forth a bit while you crank.

Last edited: