No spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcus W

Reaction score
Had a code 54 ended up being my oil pressure sensor, now I’m getting the injectors to pulse during cranking but I’m not getting any spark. It’s a brand new Delphi distributor the ignition module went bad the night before so I swapped it with my old gm genuine, when the module failed the injectors wouldn’t pulse so I don’t think it’s the module that’s failed again. I’ve check the cap and rotor, the pickup coil and the coil. I’m simply out of ideas.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a code 54 ended up being my oil pressure sensor, now I’m getting the injectors to pulse during cranking but I’m not getting any spark. It’s a brand new Delphi distributor the ignition module went bad the night before so I swapped it with my old gm genuine, when the module failed the injectors wouldn’t pulse so I don’t think it’s the module that’s failed again. I’ve check the cap and rotor, the pickup coil and the coil. I’m simply out of ideas.
WHAT VEHICLE???

HOW did you "check" the cap, rotor, pickup coil and ignition coil?

Marcus W

Reaction score
1994 Chevy pickup 5.7, took the cap off and it still looks brand new aswell as the rotor none ot the contacts fell off, used an ohm meter to check the pickup coil and I swapped coils with another one. I’m starting to think it’s my icm again I found an article on how to test it so I’m going to try after work but I don’t know why my truck would be killing ignition modules. Used the proper goo between the icm and dizzy when installed as well as clean screws. I’ve checked the large pink wire going to the coil and it does have power.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ignition coil can/will wipe out the ICM. Usually it's a good idea to replace both and use good quality parts, not hot rod crap.

Marcus W

Reaction score
I’ve got a pertronix coil, makes sense that a stock icm can’t handle it. I’m going to try and borrow an icm and coil from work today and if that solves it I’ll keep replace the coil and icm with hood quality new stuff. Eventually down the road I’ll put back in the pertronix coil aswell as a pertronix icm

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eventually down the road I’ll put back in the pertronix coil aswell as a pertronix icm
I had a Pertronix Flame Thrower that failed in ~2000 miles! I sprayed water on it while idling and it almost died. You can see the burn marks on the cover to the iron here.

You must be registered for see images attach

At the same time the ICM in my new Spectra Premium distributor went out too.

Marcus W

Reaction score
I thought it was just cheap crap when my brand new Delphi icm failed in 150 kilometres, so I put on the used gm genuine I had before expecting it to solve my issue but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that 2 have just failed lol

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ONE failed module, I can believe that the module was defective, ESPECIALLY if it was a cheap-junk Chinese knockoff.

TWO failed modules, and I'm looking hard at the ignition coil. A Pertronix coil, like MSD, is high-failure garbage. People remove a Genuine GM OEM-quality coil for boutique junk, and think they've improved something. I don't get it.

Get an ACCURATE ohmmeter, and a spark-tester calibrated for HEI, and do some proper testing of that coil.