No Spark

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just replaced my head gaskets on my 98 5.7,and once i got everything back together and the distributor set, i tried to start it and wasn’t getting any spark to the wires. ignition coil is firing and cap and rotor were fine before i took everything apart. Is it possible they would’ve just went bad?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the distributor installed at the way down? Can you crank and confirm the distributor rotor is spinning?

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the distributor installed at the way down? Can you crank and confirm the distributor rotor is spinning?
from my vision, the distributor appears to be all the way down and the button is pointing the the #1 cylinder wire. also, the rotor does spin. i’ve reseated the distributor a few times at this point

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the coil wire that goes into the distributor is firing. got a nasty shock checking that one out.

That's always the ultimate confirmation electrical components are functioning......

In the process of head gasket replacement have you checked the crank position sensor to see if it's still connected?

Wire to ignition control module connected?

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's always the ultimate confirmation electrical components are functioning......

In the process of head gasket replacement have you checked the crank position sensor to see if it's still connected?

Wire to ignition control module connected?
I did have to unplug the crank sensor but i plugged it back in. definitely worth me double checking. yes the wire is connected but that this point i’ll unplug and reconnect it

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure spark is generated based on CPS output, but I'd still say good idea to check the connection.

I can't imagine why you would have spark on the coil wire but no spark coming out of the distributor. That would point to the cap, no? The contacts seem okay?

Does the spark seem strong? Can it jump a good distance? I want to say, should be able to jump across like 3/8" to 1/2" gap?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's a whole procedure to align the distributor angle, via a scanner for all Vortec L30 and L31 engines. What degree is the distributor offset on your scanner?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you removed parts and did not break anything, made needed repairs, then installed all parts, connections, with no " oh ****" , using correct procedures. Then something was missed or you have had some type of sudden catastrophic failure. You have a strong spark on coil output dist' side wire? Swap out cap and or rotor. For fast check or inspect both closely. If coil is alive whats keeping energy from cap to rotor to plug wire to ground through plug? Cracked cap ( oops dropped it) crap rotor spring thing, corrosion in cap or coil wire wells. Thats what i would do. Good luck.