No power to fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhilH2000, Nov 8, 2018.

1. PhilH2000

PhilH2000 Newbie

I have a 96 c1500 that for some reason isn't getting power to the fuel pump. Occasionally I can turn the key on and there will be a delay and it will come in but I'm trying to fix it and don't know where to start

2. kennythewelder

kennythewelder B31-3 (6-G) certified

Its a long video, but has grate info.

PhilH2000 likes this.
  3. magimerlin

magimerlin I'm Awesome

Fuses, relays, grounds... check all of them first. You've actually checked the plug at the fuelpump to see if had power or not? Or just guessing there is non as it's not starting? When it doesnt start, smack the fuel tank pretty hard. See if the pump turns on. This is after you verify if you have power at the plug at the fuel pump. If power is at the plug and the ground is good, clean and solid then the pump is toast. If you snack the tank after verifying you have power at the plug and it turns on after snacking it, the pump needs to be replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    PhilH2000 likes this.
  4. 454cid

454cid I'm Awesome

Have you checked for power, or are you assuming it's not getting power because it's not coming on? Could it just be a pump going bad? Apparently, the 4 pin connectors where the pins are in a square pattern are known for going bad...GM came out with a retrofit design that has the pins all in a row, and they look a bit heavier. So you could have a problem there... I did not on mine. I just changed mine out a few months ago. 14 years ago when I did the pump, I assumed I already had the new connector, but did not.

5. PhilH2000

PhilH2000 Newbie

I'm just assuming it's not getting power since occasionally it kicks on. The pump isn't but maybe three years old and I replaced the wiring harness on the fuel pump about two years ago

kennythewelder likes this.
  6. PhilH2000

PhilH2000 Newbie

Forgot to mention that no lights or anything comes on on the instrument cluster until the fuel pump comes on.

7. PhilH2000

PhilH2000 Newbie

Also the 5 pin relay in the picture of the video will not work as a fuel pump relay in my truck

8. Eveready

Eveready I'm Awesome

The "hit or miss" aspect of this smells like a bad ground somewhere. No specific suggestions but I would look for one.

35olds and kennythewelder like this.
  9. ColoradoMadMan

ColoradoMadMan Supporting Member

Good day all. My 98 k1500 had an intermittent fuel pump problem a while back. Couldn’t figure it out till lt finally died for good. Turns out the fuse box itself was the problem. (For this year) Had to replace the fuse box along with the engine harness (they are one unit). Hope this isn’t the case with yours. Good luck.

10. low4x4

low4x4 backyard mechanic

you have to verify that the grounds are all in good shape...the fuel pump is grounded to the frame but the battery doesn't ground directly to the frame it grounds to the block ...and behind the pass side head it grounds to the block...make sure all your grounds are good