No power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yglide123

Reaction score
Hello! I've got a 1999 Chevy Suburban LS K1500 and have been having a heck of a time with the power steering system. Essentially the main parts are all new - the steering gear was replaced initially because of significant play in the system. I changed the pump and the lines at the same time. All worked fine for about 6 months when I noticed the pump was leaking - I took it back to Napa for a replacement thinking it would be an easy swap. But upon installing the replacement I had no power steering. I took it back and got another, similar situation only this time I noticed that I have boost if I rev the engine. I tried a 4th.... same issue.

The only thing that hasn't been replaced is the EVO valve/pressure sensor. I checked and it wasn't blocked. I tried disconnecting the sensor and have the same problem. I'm at a loss at this point as to why there's no power assist without higher RPM. Thanks in advance for any tips you might have!

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should probably install the EVO bypass kit.

GM 19168825

You must be registered for see images attach

Yglide123

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - I swapped the pump again for one with the bypass already on it... voila - power steering again. A bit more boost at higher speeds than it used to have, but oh well - it works now. Thanks!