No power after alternator power wire arced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrimerPocket

Reaction score
Hi fellas,

I screwed up like an idiot today after I put a new alternator in my 1991 K2500 5.7 RCLB.

I had replaced the ring terminal on the alternator power wire as it was damaged during disassembly. I slid some heat shrink over the wire and then crimped and soldered the terminal. Put the damn thing back together without putting heat to the shrink tubing.

Realized what I did later and took the wire back off to heat the shrink without disconnecting the battery. The wire arced and that was it, everything dead.

It's dark and cold out so I haven't done much yet but didn't see any blown fuses. Should I suspect a fusible link and if so can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If by alternator power wire, you mean the wire that goes directly from the battery (positive) to the alternator, I beleive that has the fusible link in it.... at least on my 99.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the fuseable link has done it's job, since were blind tell us wire from and to where less questions back and forth. You can feel along the fuseable wire, bulged or crunchy when flexing, check continuity of wire? Good luck.