no fuel pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have a friends 88 C1500 4.3 TBI and it has no fuel pressure. The pump and regulator were replaced about a year ago and it ran ok, doesn't get driven much, just to the dump once a month. I hear the pump buzzing but no pressure on gauge so I replaced the P/R just for ***** and grins, no luck :( What am I missing? Is there some way to block off the return line and see if it makes pressure? Thanks for any help with this problem child.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you tried a new filter? I haven't seen a filter that plugged that it wouldn't allow any flow but anything is possible. If I remember right there is a rubber section of line that you can clamp off around the bellhousing area that should restrict the return line.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Work your way back from the TBI. Is the pump getting gas to the TBI? If not, is it getting it to the filter? If not, is it getting it out of the tank?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a little hose in the tank between the pump and the pressure line. They have been known to split or blow off. That'll cause the fuel to just bypass back into the tank. If you're not getting pressure at the filter, you may want to check this.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a little hose in the tank between the pump and the pressure line. They have been known to split or blow off. That'll cause the fuel to just bypass back into the tank. If you're not getting pressure at the filter, you may want to check this.
Concur. If the original piece of hose was used when the pump was changed it would be at the top of my list to check/replace.