No crank, no start, stumped.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^X2 - what about the ground strap from the back of the right head to the firewall? A lot of people forget to install it when swapping engines. There's also a ground under the dash near the steering column, IIRC.
I thought about that one too but I thought that it went from the frame to the head?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought about that one too but I thought that it went from the frame to the head?
That could very well be. On mine, I have battery to front of engine, battery to wheel well, frame to block, and rear of head to firewall.

For positive, I have battery to starter, and battery to power distribution on firewall but, it's an 88.

I know they changed through the years but, they're all important or weird sh*t happens.:Big Laugh:

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

I'm confident the ground, chassis, and block are all grounded. The negative cable goes from the battery to the block with a smaller negative cable going right to the fender. Then there's a ground strap from the back of the block to the frame and another ground strap using the same bolt on the chassis going up to the cab. We cleaned all the connections as well. Just to make completely sure the cab has good ground, I ran a wire from where the negative cable attaches to the block to the metal bar that goes across underneath the dash. No change with any of my issues. Also, everything else works fine, gauges, radio, cigarette lighter, heater blower motor, etc.

I jumped the ground for the started relay to a good ground with the relay installed and now the truck will crank with the turn of the key. Interestingly enough, with that ground jumper in place, I can also connect to the ECM with my scan tool. Surprisingly, it's not throwing any codes. All the sensors seem to be working, I can read RPM when cranking, throttle position, air flow, etc.

The local O'Riley's had an ECM for a manual 305 in stock so we gave that a try and didn't have any luck. We also tried a known good, used, ECM from another 305 with the same results.

One thing my scanner doesn't seem to be getting a signal from is the ignition timing. Although, I'm not even sure if timing is a parameter that can be read through obd on these trucks. With a timing light, the timing reads dead on TDC. I also double checked the firing order in case you were wondering.

We tried some started fluid just to see if maybe fuel was the issue but it resulted in the same cranking with occasional sputter here or there.

We looked extensively all through the dash for a ground distribution and couldn't find anything. If anyone knows where the starter relay, OBD port, and fuel pump get their ground from, that would help me tremendously. Wiring diagrams aren't too helpful with the locations of grounds because most of them just say that it goes to ground but not where that connection actually is.

Dakota Hill

Reaction score
Currently chasing the same issue on my 98 the starter relay ground is hot and ive chased it into the firewall and lose track of it dont know what the hell it is, also just recently did head gaskets

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Currently chasing the same issue on my 98 the starter relay ground is hot and ive chased it into the firewall and lose track of it dont know what the hell it is, also just recently did head gaskets
Congratulations, but you wont get much info from the OP. He hasn't been on this site since about Thanksgiving last year.
You responded to a dead thread.
But hey, there is a wealth of knowledge here...