Newbie with newbie questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Boy that's gonna be a lot of work to un-do when you realize you wanted more drop and shoulda just flipped it to start with. ;)

Richard

Maybe. But I like to use the truck to haul me and my wife’s bikes. So I didn’t think a 6-8inch drop would be a good idea with 800-1000lbs in the box.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6 unmounted 225/70/19.5's, 2 mounted, and 4 loose wheels. Believe it or not about the same amount of weight you're describing. Those tires and wheels are real ball busters.
You must be registered for see images attach

Or how about a whole body of a 1962 Thunderbird on a 20' car hauler trailer? :)

I don't believe in non-functional trucks. Mine did knock the notch brackets every now and then but I did work it fairly hard when needed. It does also have the 4+1 leaf pack since it started life as a 2500 "light duty" (6 lug 3/4 ton) although you see the 5 lug pattern I changed it to.

Richard

sbnova

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Maybe. But I like to use the truck to haul me and my wife’s bikes. So I didn’t think a 6-8inch drop would be a good idea with 800-1000lbs in the box"

Lowering the rear wouldve made loading bikes easier. As long as you have proper suspension travel and don't bottom out- the truck would have the exact same load capacity as stock- because flip kits and shock relocations don't alter spring capacity. The spring still supports the same amount of weight it always did.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Maybe. But I like to use the truck to haul me and my wife’s bikes. So I didn’t think a 6-8inch drop would be a good idea with 800-1000lbs in the box"

Lowering the rear wouldve made loading bikes easier. As long as you have proper suspension travel and don't bottom out- the truck would have the exact same load capacity as stock- because flip kits and shock relocations don't alter spring capacity. The spring still supports the same amount of weight it always did.

Yeah, I was afraid if bottoming out on the frame. With a 6” drop in the rear you really don’t have much suspension travel before you bang off the bump stops. Maybe 6”. And with the bikes in the back there would be like 4”. It might be just fine, but I guess I wanted to be safe. I’m also happy with how it sits now.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6 unmounted 225/70/19.5's, 2 mounted, and 4 loose wheels. Believe it or not about the same amount of weight you're describing. Those tires and wheels are real ball busters.

Or how about a whole body of a 1962 Thunderbird on a 20' car hauler trailer? :)

I don't believe in non-functional trucks. Mine did knock the notch brackets every now and then but I did work it fairly hard when needed. It does also have the 4+1 leaf pack since it started life as a 2500 "light duty" (6 lug 3/4 ton) although you see the 5 lug pattern I changed it to.

Richard
Where is that first pic from, GMT400 heaven?