Newbie with newbie questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions to people who have been there and done that. I’ve done quite a bit of reading on the forums and haven’t quite been able to find what I was looking for.

I just recently picked up a 97 extended cab. I decided I wanted a little better handling and slightly lower stance. A 2/4 drop seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I also plan on adding a rear sway bar from a suburban/Yukon.

I picked up a Belltech hanger and shackle 4” drop kit, as well as djm 2” drop spindles. Also rear Belltech upper shock extensions, and lastly a front and rear set of Belltech street performance shocks.

My main question is, should I C notch the frame? I do like to use my truck to haul me and my wife’s motorcycles. So I can sometimes have 800+ lbs in the box of the truck. After I do the 4” drop, i’m Concerned that I will be hitting the frame over small bumps and such. Any advice or experience on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Ben

Apologies for the lengthy post :/

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here she is. The running boards are going as well. If anyone is close (alberta) and wants them, let me know.

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Welcome! I cant help with the lowered question, but that truck is in amazing shape!! Especially for a Canadian truck! has that thing ever seen a snowflake before?

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome! I cant help with the lowered question, but that truck is in amazing shape!! Especially for a Canadian truck! has that thing ever seen a snowflake before?

It was a one owner truck with 100,000kms (60,000miles) and I think it was only used in the summer to pull a trailer.

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
I wouldn't think it'd hurt anything if you notched the frame. I had the same concern; I did the 4" drop but went with bigger leaf springs. Can't speak to the ride and handling yet, it's still a ways from being on the road.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and bought the C notch. Figure it can’t hurt to have more clearance. And if I ever want to go lower I can.

After working on it all weekend I just have to get some new U bolts and I can have the back end finished up. Then tackle the front end next weekend.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Belltech kit required a little bit of xtra work, not mentioned in the instructions to get things like the front hanger and upper shock mounts to work. A little bit more work than I expected.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Almost all done. Just the rear sway bar to do, then on to the front spindles.

Also decided to do a driveline correction kit to keep it as vibration free as possible.

Uncle Ben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear sway bar installed

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Boy that's gonna be a lot of work to un-do when you realize you wanted more drop and shoulda just flipped it to start with. ;)

Richard