Newbie Trans questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iron28w

Reaction score
I just picked this transmission up off of a Craigslist ad for free. I know that it won't fit my 1995 Silverado, but what is it? If my research is right it's a 700R4. It's missing the tail shaft housing, so I know besides being rebuilt I'll need to source that. It's probably going to go into my son's El Camino but not set on that yet. How much of a pita is finding that housing going to be? I don't have any junkyards near me, they've all closed down in the last few years, so going shopping in one is almost impossible around here.
1. How hard to find a replace that housing?
2. Do I need to go lock-up convertor with it? Doesn't have a convertor currently.
3. What are some good rebuild kits?
Thanks for the assistance!

You must be registered for see images attach

iron28w

Reaction score
A couple more pictures

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
It's a 700R4/4L60 (not 4L60E) from the looks of the pan.

1. You can buy a replacement housing for it, or you can use it as a core for a rebuilder. Better option there.
2. You will need a converter to run it unless you have a powertrain that currently has a 700R4 you could rob it from.
3. TCI and B&M were always the go to for my guy back in the day. He was a big fan of the "Overhaul" kits. Used them on his Chevelle and loved it. Depends on who you ask really.

Don't be afraid to talk to a reputable speed shop/transmission shop about stuff like this. The last two questions also really depend on your power goals and what you plan to do with it. You could get it rebuilt for a stock daily or build it for 1000hp. Lol

Happy modding, and welcome to GMT400.com