Newbie Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

piratemike

Reaction score
I am looking for opinions on replacement exhaust on a 1989 Silverado 1500, 4x4, short bed, 5.7. I am considering replacing the cat with a new universal cat and using a si/so, 3" diameter inlet muffler and a 3" diameter outlet and having it exit behind the rear wheel. Basically a stock design just upgrading pipe diameter and muffler. This truck is completely stock and will probably remain that way. Will this setup work ok? Muffler suggestions(not too loud, kind of mellow)? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
3” will work fine. The y pipe is the biggest restriction on the TBI trucks. Personally I don’t mind loud, so YouTube will be your friend on the sound you want. Straight through is best, generally the larger the case the quieter it will be. I don’t have any personal experience, but many people here like Jones mufflers.