New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought a Icon brand ratchet today from Harbor freight.
It come with a black towel to keep it clean? Its a exacty copy of a snapon 3/8" 14" ratchet with 90* teeth.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought a Icon brand ratchet today from Harbor freight.
It come with a black towel to keep it clean? Its a exacty copy of a snapon 3/8" 14" ratchet with 90* teeth.

A copy in appearance, perhaps. Metallurgy and engineering tolerances to be determined. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A copy in appearance, perhaps. Metallurgy and engineering tolerances to be determined. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
When you have commited all of your weight onto it, and your knuckles are only inches away from solid steel, you need to know it isn't going to let you down.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you have commited all of your weight onto it, and your knuckles are only inches away from solid steel, you need to know it isn't going to let you down.
My youngest little bro speaks really highly of his Icon ratchet. Says his SnapOn has broken 4 times, and the only time his Icon broke is because he loaned it out and someone used a cheater pipe on it and broke the rubber part off the handle. My guess is that like many other brands, SnapOn's quality may have taken a dive recently, who knows? My much older SnapOn and Craftsman stuff is doing OK other than having broke a few Craftsman sockets, and I've rebuilt a couple of my Craftsman ratchets using old-stock kits. It would take a lot of catastrophic failures to get me to switch brands, and I doubt I would ever switch to anything from Horror Freight.

Richard

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nah, Snap-on is still top tier in all their classic gear. As far as Taiwan tools go, Icon has been a solid performer for me. They copy Snap-on's image pretty hard, but you're getting a comparable product to Gearwrench / Tekton / name any of the other dozen brands probably produced in the same place. Bit pricey but can be a good value when you can use a 20% off coupon. They have a nice led work light.

I've ran into situations where I needed a no skip set and didn't want to wait for shipping, Icon was the only local game in town.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, the low quality stuff was Japanese. Now Japan is synonymous with quality. Give it ten years and I'll bet people will start looking for Chinese stuff because of the quality. All the cheap stuff then will be coming from India or Brazil.

I like HF's ratchets. Sure, don't trust them to hold with a cheater pipe, but if you need a cheater pipe you really need to go one size up on the ratchet. For $40 for an Icon versus $140 for a Snap-On, I'll buy Icon all day long. If Snap-On were asking $60 I wouldn't hesitate to buy Snap-On. At $140 the benefit doesn't come close to outweighing the cost.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harbor Freight's "Rear Axle Bearing Puller" kit is on clearance for $30, normally around $60 if I remember right. I had to buy a puller for my Mustang diff and was happy to see it on sale. Be sure and get the nut and washer tight before you hit it with the slide hammer.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started mowing and popped the tire off the bead rider, my crappy little inflator wasn't up to the task so I caved and got an air compressor. I've been holding out for an older Craftsman unit since those come up around me all the time in great shape, but I wasn't having any luck.
So the Harbor Freight McGraw compressor will have to do for now, I just got a little one since it was on sale and I really didn't need anything massive, not until I build my garage. This honestly doesn't seem like a bad compressor for $60 out the door. I guess time will tell.

Attachments

• PXL_20230706_183936840.jpg
    PXL_20230706_183936840.jpg
    676.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20230706_184246600.jpg
    PXL_20230706_184246600.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 9

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Started mowing and popped the tire off the bead rider, my crappy little inflator wasn't up to the task so I caved and got an air compressor.
I've found a rope or strap around the center of the tread to force the bead out makes re-seating those tires much easier. Even had luck using a 12v compressor on occasion.