New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The fire in my case started from what I can guess about 2 feet away from the box and moved towards it. Most of the metal tools survived but I don't know if I can trust them. It was hot enough to melt aluminum and warp steel.
I would be very careful with using them and feeling better about them once they fail and they've warranteed.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Right??

I'm 100% all jelly seeing these shops go up. The adaptation from having 8,000+ sq ft of shop space plus plenty of concrete outside as well as semi-stabilized ground for parking, to a "2 car" garage (2 tiny Hondas maybe?) that barely has room for 1 car and some tools.. bleh!

Richard
Yup I can vouch for the tiny garages in most modern houses. I've been to two local members now, and both barely have room for their truck, let alone much space to work on it. On the other hand, till I get my building at least part cleaned out, I'm wrenching on the driveway....

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the other hand, till I get my building at least part cleaned out, I'm wrenching on the driveway....

I grew up really poor. I spent a lot of time laying in the mud. Started buying (walmartish) cheap yoga mats to lay on, then threw away when they got too many holes in them. They give a little cushion when laying on em, which is nice after a while as everything seems to take forever.

Last edited:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I grew up really poor. I spent a lot of time laying in the mud. Started buying (walmartish) cheap yoga mats to lay on, then threw away when they got too many holes in them. They give a little cushion when laying on em, which is nice after a while as everything seems to take forever.
Cardboard, sheet flooring, plywood, old carpet or rugs, anything to cushion the rocks and cover the mud. Making it easier to find that bolt you just laid down "dropped" is an added bonus.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That's a great tip! I usually use a big piece of cardboard (the sheets between layers of case bottled water pallets work well and you can usually get them free at the store).

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Foot gloves, for when you can’t be bothered to change out of your sneakers (or crocs) but need to use the gas axe.
Nothing worse than getting one of those little balls of red hot metal stuck between your toes to help you increase your vocabulary.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing worse than getting one of those little balls of red hot metal stuck between your toes to help you increase your vocabulary.
The glow in the dark, spicy metal is strangely attracted to the tops of my feet. Restraining orders don’t work!

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the 80's, when I was in High School, me and a mate were gas welding a patch in the lower front guard of his Anglia van. He was sitting on a beer crate with his running shoes on and positioned just below where he was welding. Little did we know but there had been an earlier repair done with lead and when it got hot enough the whole section collapsed onto the top off his shoe, instantly melting through the mesh material and landing on the top off his foot. The whole neighbourhood learned some choice new words that day and we learned that you always check the metal before welding and never leave your feet below what you are working on. Needless to say it made an awful mess of his foot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sherberto