New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, why that big of wire? Just throw a 90 amp breaker in your main panel and run 2, 2, 2, 6 wire. That breaker protects the run and you can still use the 100A panel in your shop. You'll probably never use the full 100 Amps anyway so, you won't need to up size for the 150' run either. If you really want the full 100A service, simply up your wire by one size.

NEC changed their standard for de-rating the neutral a few years ago. Now you have to calculate the load on circuits with the neutral leg (120V in this case) as apposed to loads with 2 power legs (240V, with no neutral) so, I always run the same size wire. It's not that big of a cost until you get into 400A and bigger services.

Plus, you only bond your neutral to ground in your main panel, you don't bond it on sub panels, FYI.
This kind of information is why I'm going to let an expert handle it. lol My buddies shop is roughly 250' from the house. He didn't remember exactly how much of the bill was just to get 100 amps to the garage and a box. He also said the electrician got the various light fixtures and materials through his supplier for less than he could walk in to Lowes and get the stuff for. I'm probably 100' from house with a main breaker outside the house but will probably need a bigger box there. He'll be out here Friday.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good :waytogo: - one suggestion, you may want to pour aprons in front of your doors so you don't create tracks when going in/out and don't track mud/debris inside.

You must be registered for see images attach
I would have, as having concrete outside the door can useful, but I went with the bigger building and sq. ft. instead of more extras. Still much to do such as getting gravel down for a driveway to it. Like any project take the budget and add 30%. lol. Just wanted the building up as most of my shop equipment along with more projects are in a 15x30 storage unit that's costing quite a bit. The concrete guy said he would come back and do anything additional I wanted.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And it's not overflowing with your crap yet?
Right??

I'm 100% all jelly seeing these shops go up. The adaptation from having 8,000+ sq ft of shop space plus plenty of concrete outside as well as semi-stabilized ground for parking, to a "2 car" garage (2 tiny Hondas maybe?) that barely has room for 1 car and some tools.. bleh!

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And it's not overflowing with your crap yet?
Lmao!, That 15x 30 stoage has 4 motorcycles sitting in it, my big tool box, bike lifts, tire machines and various other shop type equipment, a Plymouth Duster in pieces , and a whole bunch of other crap. This building is full already. lol

Probably 4 engines, and a half dozen transmissions floating around in there also

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This kind of information is why I'm going to let an expert handle it.
The 'experts' are wanting to charge me $7000 to run the wire from one shop to the other. My city requires electricians to have a city license, so they feel like they can double their bills. I'll do it myself, and the inspection will be my kids' problem whenever I pass away and they go to sell the house.

you may want to pour aprons in front of your doors so you don't create tracks when going in/out and don't track mud/debris inside.
Both mine and my wife's shops are 30x40 on 40x40 pads. I highly recommend at least a 10' apron. It's comparatively cheap and makes the building that much more usable. Every time I have a lawnmower act up, it's easy to drive it up on the pad and work on it. Since the pad isn't covered, I don't tend to leave stuff out on it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 'experts' are wanting to charge me $7000 to run the wire from one shop to the other. My city requires electricians to have a city license, so they feel like they can double their bills. I'll do it myself, and the inspection will be my kids' problem whenever I pass away and they go to sell the house.

Both mine and my wife's shops are 30x40 on 40x40 pads. I highly recommend at least a 10' apron. It's comparatively cheap and makes the building that much more usable. Every time I have a lawnmower act up, it's easy to drive it up on the pad and work on it. Since the pad isn't covered, I don't tend to leave stuff out on it.

Are they really so bored that they'll do a scrub of what your property looks like vs the record of permits pulled that many years down the road? If so my kids are also gonna be screwed with what I'm planning.