New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Crapsman air massager. It is great at consuming electricity used by my compressor and does an amazing job at turning noise and vibrations into hopes and dreams.

After it failed to ever pop a rivet out or do anything to a tie rod end it got replaced by a Snap On super duty air hammer. That gets the job done.
I've got a Husky air hammer that is reasonably useful. Bought it maybe 15 years ago. The bits that came with it, not so much. Apparently made of butter.

Richard

Zerio29

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The shop I work for has one of these U-Joint pullers and I recently went ahead and bought myself a medium duty one of these (10104) (since I actually don't have one of these trucks anymore... I just stick around for the amazing community and I do still love these trucks) because I have a 1-ton with 1415 u-joints. I can only speak to the effectiveness of the commercial and medium duty ones... but they're phenomenal so I would have no doubt in my mind that the automotive would be similar quality. I've always just lubed up the threads and gone nuts with a 1/2" impact on the puller, smack the yoke ear with a hammer and have yet for it to not work - even up in northern BC where rust is more than a small issue.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I pissed around on the side of the road recently with a ball joint tool on a U-joint after using one of these for years. After talking to a few people it surprises me that these aren't a lot more wide-spread than they are. It has the additional benefit of pulling on the yoke ears rather than pressing it together and I've found its a lot easier to get the snap-rings into the new U-joints afterwards.

The medium duty one runs around $250... but if you wrench for a living it pays itself off VERY quickly. Even if you don't do it for a living, it can save a lot of time and swearing.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought one of these:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H1MY3MS/

I have a few lawnmowers and a chipper, and it seems the smaller diameter tires are always going flat and losing the bead. You can't get them to seat back on the bead with an air compressor, even if you cargo strap them. The last time I had one go flat, I took it to the tire shop three miles away and the guy used one of these. This time around I decided I needed to buy the tool instead of paying him $10. First try it worked like a champ!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought one of these:
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H1MY3MS/

I have a few lawnmowers and a chipper, and it seems the smaller diameter tires are always going flat and losing the bead. You can't get them to seat back on the bead with an air compressor, even if you cargo strap them. The last time I had one go flat, I took it to the tire shop three miles away and the guy used one of these. This time around I decided I needed to buy the tool instead of paying him $10. First try it worked like a champ!
Nice! it's like a mini-Cheetah. You're gonna have to use it about 4 more times for ROI though, considering his $10 charge, plus gas prices. ;)

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried yet. I'll use the excuse that I've been busy with a 9-day stretch of military duty followed with acquiring Roscoe, the mouse-poo filed 1-ton.

Maybe tomorrow? I'll try and film it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can't tell you the amount of stories regarding the cheetah and the shop I worked in. I will say one of them involved a guy in a bathroom stall taking a poo, the cheetah and baby powder. I am sure you can put 3 and 3 together on that.
What is it about dudes messing with other dudes while they're on the can.. it's irresistibly fun.

My old house back in ATL had a separate shop building out back, complete with a small bathroom - shower, terlet, sink. Buddy of mine and I had just got back from an out of town run to load up a bunch of classic arcade games and he needed a #2 break.

Did I mention we'd also stopped in Alabama for fireworks?

I lit a, uh, "whistle chaser" (decades ago they had a much uglier, less P.C. name) and sent it under the gap in the door to visit him in the bathroom. He starts yelling and cussing as it goes TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE POP POP ...

Yeah, you think that would be enough, but I managed through my fit of giggling like a little kid and trying to see through the tears I was laughing so hard, I managed to get another one lit and sent it, too... TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE POP POP

He was so freakin' pissed off I'm surprised he didn't pop out of there ready to fight but by the time he could finish up and open the door to let the smoke out, he was laughing almost as hard as I was.

Richard