New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
For all of you looking at penetrating oil, you need to try a 50/50 mix of of acetone and transmission fluid.

I have a little glass bottle that was found out in the woods that I use for acetone and atf. It was probably a pill bottle. It's that size anyway. I rarely mix it up, though. Normally I'm spraying a commercial product days ahead of time if I'm really concerned.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up this bad boy a couple of days ago,supposedly it's pretty strong....opinions?

You must be registered for see images attach

Torque Test Channel had good things to say about it. It's apparently identical to Mac's long barrel air hammer. I'm saving my nickels for a CP 717 or Astro 4980.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about .498 air hammers in general. Downside is the poor selection of the bigger-diameter chisels/bits.

MOST .401 air hammers sold are a pathetic joke. Some--not usually the best-sellers--are quite good. I think that in general, the quality and power of consumer-grade air hammers has come a long way in the last couple decades--moreso than air ratchets; about the same as air impact wrenches in terms of power available then vs. now. That is, you can still buy garbage at low prices, but the mid- and upper-range consumer tools stand a chance at being worthwhile; and even the "pro" grade stuff is improved.

The common .401s are "burp guns"; lots of noise, lots of blows-per-minute, but they don't hit very hard. Pretty-much worthless except for ripping rusty sheet-metal including exhaust pipe. The better guns have ~2/3 the blows-per minute but longer stroke and harder hit.

I bought a .401 CP 7150 so long ago that it's colored black instead of red. Perhaps 25-ish years ago. Does what I need, but I have high-flow couplers and the ability to jack-up the air pressure so the tool actually has 90 psi at the input, with the tool running. Most homeowners have 120 psi in the tank which quickly bleeds down to 100 psi or less, and restrictive hose and couplers--which leads to 60--80 psi at the tool and disappointing results with any and all air tools.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a BluePoint air hammer I've had for years. Air hammers take a bit of experience to use correctly. You have to hold them at the right distance while hammering. If you put too much downward pressure on it, you lose all the inertia the hammer creates. If you don't put any pressure on it, it expends all its inertia throwing that hammer or chisel. You have to develop a feel for the "springiness" the tool is making as it hammers. They rarely work as nicely as you'd hope, but mine has certainly got me out of some tough situations.

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Crapsman air massager. It is great at consuming electricity used by my compressor and does an amazing job at turning noise and vibrations into hopes and dreams.

After it failed to ever pop a rivet out or do anything to a tie rod end it got replaced by a Snap On super duty air hammer. That gets the job done.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Crapsman air massager. It is great at consuming electricity used by my compressor and does an amazing job at turning noise and vibrations into hopes and dreams.
Well-said.

After it failed to ever pop a rivet out or do anything to a tie rod end it got replaced by a Snap On super duty air hammer. That gets the job done.
Well-done. What model number?