New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with these two M18 impacts?

I have an M12 1/2” stubby (rated for 250 ft-lbs) but wouldn’t mind something with a little more kick to it.

The 1/2” mid-torque might be a good compromise size-wise.

You must be registered for see images attach

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I have an M12 1/2” stubby (rated for 250 ft-lbs) but wouldn’t mind something with a little more kick to it.

Dewalt 20v from my experience and in my opinion are great. Very powerful. I’m a tech at a GM dealership and I use my 20v stuff daily and have not ran in to any problems in over 3 years of daily use. The batteries are also interchangeable with Mac 20v cordless tools. Both MAC and DEWALT are made by the same company.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought this set last year and absolutely love them. Been drilling out tons of rivets on a can am and they're still sharp. Pretty funny when my Snap On guy even likes em.
That is funny but you have to respect a quality tool. Our Snap On guys are cool but they're quick to dog Matco because their tools are all somebody else's that are rebranded as Matco. I don't care as long as it is quality.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score

I have the M18 high torque ($249). The thing is a monster. It will out do the air impact I have. Make sure you have the larger capacity battery for it, it make a difference in performance.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I have ridgid's 18v high torque impact(1500ftlbs/1100ftlbs) and have for a few years and love it but like has been said make sure you have the bigger battery. I want to get their 9ah battery specifically for my impact. Currently have the 4ah and it works great. No clue if it is actually rated for the listed specs but it works for what I use it for.

I also had to buy some new tools myself lol.

3/8" 6pt deep SAE/Metric sockets since for some reason I have none in 3/8" have 1/4" up to 13mm and have 1/2" but no 3/8". 3/16" brake line flaring tool. And a tubing cutter

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the M18 high torque ($249). The thing is a monster. It will out do the air impact I have. Make sure you have the larger capacity battery for it, it make a difference in performance.

Any issues with rounding a bolt head or worse shearing it off with the high torque?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any issues with rounding a bolt head or worse shearing it off with the high torque?
I'd think that would depend on the diameter of the bolt.

Big torque on a seized #12 machine screw is more likely to break the #12 screw than a 1/2" Grade 8+ socket-head capscrew.

Remember that "most" 1/2" air impact tools are about as powerful, or even less powerful than a Professional-grade 3/8" air impact running on "true" 90 psi air pressure. Typical consumer air tools--and air compressors--are weaklings. So while the cordless impacts are respectable, being "more powerful" than typical air tools is not a big deal.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
you usually know by looking at the bolt or nut if its going to give you grief or not. but i have not had any issues with busting head off or rounding corners. use the right size socket and never a 12 point.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son went the other way - he split an 18mm deep well Snappy socket with this 3/8" drive and a 2AH battery. The tool truck guy even warrantied it :rolleyes: