New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, going to go look at it tomorrow. They sure are proud of those batteries, guess that’s the cost of admission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get on SlickDeals and set an alert for sales. They also have some other drool tools such as the right angle impact. M12 is no joke. MAKE SURE IT’S THE “FUEL” VERSION!!!

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Etsy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Nah, there’s not really any good way to charge for the time of the 3D printer running. Filament is easy to account for but Id prefer to print whatever I want vs making like 25¢ an hour with it. If someone i know or someone on the forums wants something i just do it at my leisure and charge them for filament and shipping.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good 12V battery load tester? Trying to add one to the tool collection but I don't really want to spend a ton. I've been looking at this one, seems like a decent set of features for $60.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z67MMGC

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Think I answered my own question. From the little bit of research I did it seems like none of the digital testers are actually "load testers," they just read some parameters like internal resistance and calculate an estimated remaining CCA based on those readings. I want a real load tester that will give me a go or no go, and what I found is that to get an accurate test you need to be able to simulate a load that's half the rated CCA of the battery you're trying to evaluate. So for instance if I wanted to test my 800CCA Odyssey batteries, I would need a carbon pile load tester capable of at least a 400A load.

So... I'm going to go grab one of these from Harbor Freight later this morning with a 20% off coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-amp-carbon-pile-load-tester-91129.html

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wagner 2 speed heat gun. $25 off ebay. I had a one like (but generic) this for years, but it finally died last year. Used this today to bend some hdpe.

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Think I answered my own question. From the little bit of research I did it seems like none of the digital testers are actually "load testers," they just read some parameters like internal resistance and calculate an estimated remaining CCA based on those readings. I want a real load tester that will give me a go or no go, and what I found is that to get an accurate test you need to be able to simulate a load that's half the rated CCA of the battery you're trying to evaluate. So for instance if I wanted to test my 800CCA Odyssey batteries, I would need a carbon pile load tester capable of at least a 400A load.

So... I'm going to go grab one of these from Harbor Freight later this morning with a 20% off coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-amp-carbon-pile-load-tester-91129.html

So I just wanted to update and say this thing is great for the $45. I finally got around to testing both of the Odyssey batteries in my trucks. The one in the red truck passed with flying colors, the one in the Suburban needs replacement.

It's definitely not a pro-grade tool by any means, but I'm happy I bought one.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last year when I rewired my AC clutch to go through a relay and use direct battery voltage, some guys gave me a bunch of sh*t for not using waterproof heat shrink connectors - JK :Big Laugh:. Anyway, I've been thinking about doing the "4-high" mod so, I decided why not? I can rewire my powered sub, AC clutch relay, the 4-high mod, have some room for expansion, and convert to top terminals on my battery. So, I ordered this stuff, among others. All water tight, 6 relay capability with ATC fuses, 4 GA power from battery to distribution box, etc.
You must be registered for see images attach

When I was trying to get a decent crimp, with the wrong tools (ha ha you were wondering why I'm putting this on "New Tools") on the "open Barrel" style connectors, I broke down and ordered this crimper. You can click on the pictures and see what type of connectors I'm referring to. These are the same type that are used on the ECM/PCM and other GM connectors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LF4K3VK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's supposed to arrive Thursday. Then, when I get my primary wiring and some more stuff, I'll post a thread on this upgrade.

Not sure where though... :33: