New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a knot on my forehead that's slowly fading away because my Cal-Tools flywheel turner flexed and slipped off the ring gear, punching me in the noggin. It's not the first time it's bent, and it's getting weaker.

Anybody got a line on a quality flywheel turner that won't stretch and slip? My cheapo was about $15 twenty years ago, and I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I need one that works and doesn't try to kill me.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Picked up one of these cheap tamper proof Torx sets from Harbor Freight to change the MAF sensor on my mom's car today. Thought that was an odd choice for a fastener there but whatever... Anyhow they don't seem too terrible considering the price, which was just over $6 after the 20% off coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-star-tamper-proof-key-set-97471.html

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Picked up one of these cheap tamper proof Torx sets from Harbor Freight to change the MAF sensor on my mom's car today. Thought that was an odd choice for a fastener there but whatever... Anyhow they don't seem too terrible considering the price, which was just over $6 after the 20% off coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-star-tamper-proof-key-set-97471.html
Many years ago, my Dad had one of those sets (tamper proof TORX bits) that we loaned to a customer at our parts store. They had some GM vehicle that the ignition module was installed with these screws. Was back in the mid 80s, so it has happened before....probably somebody on the production line grabbed the wrong screws.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Many years ago, my Dad had one of those sets (tamper proof TORX bits) that we loaned to a customer at our parts store. They had some GM vehicle that the ignition module was installed with these screws. Was back in the mid 80s, so it has happened before....probably somebody on the production line grabbed the wrong screws.

Apparently this was a factory thing on W-body GM MAF sensors... I didn't believe it at first but I looked up a video and sure enough, it was mentioned by someone else. I think the last time I saw tamper proof Torx was on a video game console.