New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tired of dealing with my mix and match sockets, I ventured on a quest for a set with all I needed just for my 95 Tahoe. I found I needed 8, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 21, 22, and 24. Most sets skip a few of these, but I found a Kobalt set that got all bu the extremes: 10-18 mm deep and standard, 6-point, 3/8 drive.

You must be registered for see images attach
I'm tired of buying socket sets that skip sizes when working on a GM that uses every size of both standard and metric. I bought the HF 3/8" drive socket set a while back because the sockets I'd been using were ten different brands with fuzzy markings. HF doesn't even offer the 18mm! Guess I'm going to Lowe's.

bigfutz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[mention]Erik the Awful [/mention] I’ll trade all my never-used 19mm’s for one 18mm.

I checked all over the vehicle and ended up buying this set, plus deep & shallow 21 and 24, plus a deep 22 for the lugnuts. Lowes has the loose sockets hidden in drawers. And all 6-point that work on the flats not the corners.

Last edited:

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m trying not to buy more tools until I can afford a new tool cabinet—I’m plumb running out of room with two chests and four mid-boxes sitting on a big wood cabinet.

keep looking at the Harbor Freight 56” or two of the 44” cabinets......

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I’m trying not to buy more tools until I can afford a new tool cabinet—I’m plumb running out of room with two chests and four mid-boxes sitting on a big wood cabinet.

keep looking at the Harbor Freight 56” or two of the 44” cabinets......
Pull the trigger on it. Those hf boxes are nice from what is seen in the store

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
[mention]Erik the Awful [/mention] I’ll trade all my never-used 19mm’s for one 18mm.

I checked all over the vehicle and ended up buying this set, plus deep & shallow 21 and 24, plus a deep 22 for the lugnuts. Lowes has the loose sockets hidden in drawers. And all 6-point that work on the flats not the corners.
Yup I hate 12 point sockets! Unless you have a 12 point headed bolt.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Also the distributor cap and ICM, IIRC
Interesting, my cap screws are Torx T20s. Not seen one that was hex head , but while researching the blower motor in the treasure yard (on first Burb, so a few years ago) I saw all the blower motor bolts aren't the same size. Some are 5mm, some are 5.5mm. We had a cheap socket set that had one and so used it. Haven't gotten into that area yet on this truck yet. Will have to soon , but I know the air conditioning is gonna need some work too. Good to know that the dash uses that size too, I'll be looking for one next time I go tool shopping. Thanks again