New tools!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Ya that was the only bad part, I need a 19mm I dnt have one at all. And I use that size quite often at work.
I ended up just ordering the single wrench off amazon

————————————————

The SAE swivels came in today
You must be registered for see images attach

Amazon is saying July 26th for the Metrics

Also that matco mag light is impractical as hell but its sitting beside the bed now just in case haha.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know this thread stretches back to the beginning of time, but here's some juicy tidbits dug up from the grave:

I went through a few of those flew head 3/8 craftsmans. Got one now that I think the internals are stripped same with both my 1/2 craftsman. And my local Sears is closing down so there's only the Ace for now, until lowes starts carrying them. The more tools I buy an break the less I care abt price and more I care about replacement warranty, how far do I have to drive to replace a broken tool and who has better customer service. The sears always had some jerk who had no idea what he was doing.
^^^ Winner. In addition to what you mention, "seeing my own blood" became a part of my tool-buying regimen. If a tool broke, I got it warrantied. If a tool broke, and I saw my own blood, I got it warrantied, sold it or donated it to someone, and bought a real tool to replace it.

Thats exactly why i get ace/craftsmen or carlyle. .
That's exactly why I QUIT buying Crapsman. I got sick of warranties and just wanted tools that worked and didn't piss me off.

I'd imagine so... I assume they're keeping their Kobalt brand as well... I never purchased Kobalt, but I have used them and they're pretty good. I grew up with craftsman though, definitely my favorite along with Proto...Though Proto is much more expensive :/
When the Kobalt brand name was being launched, the tools were made by Williams--a Snap-On Industrial company. The tools were top-notch, genuine Professional grade.

Wasn't so long after the name got "established" that Lowes's quit dealing with Williams and went to Danaher instead. Now the tools were Craftsman USA equivalent. Professional-grade, as long as you remember that an apprentice is technically a professional, but at the beginning of his career.

Danaher switched to Asian crap, Kobalt went straight to hell. So Lowe's decides to pull a fast one, contracts with Stanley Black and Decker for a different brand of Asian junk. (Crapsman)

The local Menards has a display of Crapsman, every bit of it Communist Chinese.

Proto is a well-respected name.

I used to be the same way; but after going through 4 ratchets and stripping out countless sockets I decided to treat myself.
Plus, the school I'm looking at going to for Automotive and mechanical training requires it's students to supply their own tools, so I figure I'll stock up on Craftsman, NAPA/Carlyle, and Milwaukee tools to keep the Snap-On man at bay.
I suppose it's too late now, but Snappy offers MASSIVE discounts to automotive "students". You could buy real tools for cheap instead of Asian junk.

For the record, when I worked professionally, I bought USA Craftsman in my early years, then Snap-On, some Mac, and a little Matco, once I learned the real cost of cheap tools. Now that I'm fixing stuff for "fun", I tend to buy SK if they have what I'm looking for, used-but-good-condition Snap-On if SK doesn't have what I need, and new Snap-On* if I have to. SK is much less expensive than the Tool Truck brands, just as good in most cases. Wright, Proto, Williams are other top-quality brands that tend to cost less than Tool Truck stuff. Mac and Proto are sister companies just like Snappy and Williams. When buying Proto and Williams, be careful to get the USA-made product not the Asian product.

As has been said, Matco doesn't make anything except some tool boxes, which is what they made for Mac when they were known as Mac Allied Tool COmpany.

*Keeping with the spirit of this thread, my latest "new" Snap-On purchase was an impact wrench. This is the MG3255L, the "3/8" compact-body impact with a 1/2" drive extended anvil, in a kit with three double-ended lug nut sockets. My Snappy dealer was hot to sell, I think it had gone stale on the truck. I bet it's several years old, leftover stock. The price was "right" and it went home with me.

I did some research on old Snap-On air impact wrenches. Their first one, the IM5 and IM5B, had 200-ish ft/lbs of torque. Pathetic by today's standards, my 3/8 impact has FAR more power. The IM5B was still listed in the '83 catalog, but I think they started with them in the late '60s.

Last edited:

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picked up a few more things. Should be able to put the front end back together properly now. No more crescent wrenches if I can help it.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I know this thread stretches back to the beginning of time, but here's some juicy tidbits dug up from the grave:

^^^ Winner. In addition to what you mention, "seeing my own blood" became a part of my tool-buying regimen. If a tool broke, I got it warrantied. If a tool broke, and I saw my own blood, I got it warrantied, sold it or donated it to someone, and bought a real tool to replace it.

That's exactly why I QUIT buying Crapsman. I got sick of warranties and just wanted tools that worked and didn't piss me off.

When the Kobalt brand name was being launched, the tools were made by Williams--a Snap-On Industrial company. The tools were top-notch, genuine Professional grade.

Wasn't so long after the name got "established" that Lowes's quit dealing with Williams and went to Danaher instead. Now the tools were Craftsman USA equivalent. Professional-grade, as long as you remember that an apprentice is technically a professional, but at the beginning of his career.

Danaher switched to Asian crap, Kobalt went straight to hell. So Lowe's decides to pull a fast one, contracts with Stanley Black and Decker for a different brand of Asian junk. (Crapsman)

The local Menards has a display of Crapsman, every bit of it Communist Chinese.

Proto is a well-respected name.

I suppose it's too late now, but Snappy offers MASSIVE discounts to automotive "students". You could buy real tools for cheap instead of Asian junk.

For the record, when I worked professionally, I bought USA Craftsman in my early years, then Snap-On, some Mac, and a little Matco, once I learned the real cost of cheap tools. Now that I'm fixing stuff for "fun", I tend to buy SK if they have what I'm looking for, used-but-good-condition Snap-On if SK doesn't have what I need, and new Snap-On* if I have to. SK is much less expensive than the Tool Truck brands, just as good in most cases. Wright, Proto, Williams are other top-quality brands that tend to cost less than Tool Truck stuff. Mac and Proto are sister companies just like Snappy and Williams. When buying Proto and Williams, be careful to get the USA-made product not the Asian product.

As has been said, Matco doesn't make anything except some tool boxes, which is what they made for Mac when they were known as Mac Allied Tool COmpany.

*Keeping with the spirit of this thread, my latest "new" Snap-On purchase was an impact wrench. This is the MG3255L, the "3/8" compact-body impact with a 1/2" drive extended anvil, in a kit with three double-ended lug nut sockets. My Snappy dealer was hot to sell, I think it had gone stale on the truck. I bet it's several years old, leftover stock. The price was "right" and it went home with me.

I did some research on old Snap-On air impact wrenches. Their first one, the IM5 and IM5B, had 200-ish ft/lbs of torque. Pathetic by today's standards, my 3/8 impact has FAR more power. The IM5B was still listed in the '83 catalog, but I think they started with them in the late '60s.

Nah, not too late. The school doesn't require a massive tool selection and I've been busy with work so I haven't had time to really research class options.
I've been picking up stuff here and there, mainly Gearwrench ratchets and Milwaukee power tools. I'm fairly impressed with the GW, the ratchets seem pretty well made and can take a beating, and the Craftsman sockets are still like new while the ratchets have gotten sloppy even though I haven't used them much. I got some Craftsman wrenches that were NOS off of Ebay with "Made in the USA" decaled on the box last Christmas so they're staying.

I've been eying a lot of second hand Snap-On tools on FB Marketplace, mainly big toolboxes for my own personal use.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Picked up a few more things. Should be able to put the front end back together properly now. No more crescent wrenches if I can help it.

If your truck is 4x4 your gonna wanna trade that 34mm for a 36mm