New to trucks in general!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Adjust your rear drums before you do anything else. If you have to fight to get your drums over the shoes, you're probably about right. Use your parking brake regularly and you won't have to adjust them as often. Waaaay too many people swap to the NBS master cylinder without properly fixing the existing brakes. The NBS master cylinder will give you good pedal feel, but many people who've done the swap say that in an emergency stop it can't perform.
I'll definitely do that when I do the install, as I plan on doing front and rears when I'm fixing the suspension

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I saw that. And as dope as it is, I havnt decided if I'm gunna be doing real expensive stuff to the truck just yet. The only thing I'm unquestionably spending money on immediately is reliability/drivability things. Once I do all that, I'll have to think about Aesthetic things. My main car is a little focus st that I really enjoy and am still in the process of making my "nice ride".

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought the Silverado had a chrome bumpers, chrome grill, and leather seats?
Yours seems to have been blacked out, and gray cloth seats.
Though I assume they could've been changed over the years...
Or are you using Silverado retroactively as the truck name? I ask 'cause my 1989, short cab/step bed, cloth bench, stick-shift truck, is actually a Scottsdale.

OP: my advice is maintenance. Change the coolant, tranny fluid, t-case, f&r diff oils, p/s, and brake fluid. Check and replace any leaking seals. Then replace the air & fuel filters. Get that thing completely up to date. That way you know how it was treated is its former life. Get a good look at the shocks and brakes while you're at it...

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ask 'cause my 1989, short cab/step bed, cloth bench, stick-shift truck, is actually a Scottsdale.
My 88 RCSB C1500 Silverado came with chrome bumpers, wheel arches, and bump strips but, it had cloth bench seat too. Maybe OP can post a side view with the "B" pillar emblem, unless it was changed somewhere down the road?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 97 Silverado has cloth seats. Ii remember some with painted Silverado style grill, and painted bumpers, but I'm not sure if they were Silverado.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I absolut
I thought the Silverado had a chrome bumpers, chrome grill, and leather seats?
Yours seems to have been blacked out, and gray cloth seats.
Though I assume they could've been changed over the years...
Or are you using Silverado retroactively as the truck name? I ask 'cause my 1989, short cab/step bed, cloth bench, stick-shift truck, is actually a Scottsdale.

OP: my advice is maintenance. Change the coolant, tranny fluid, t-case, f&r diff oils, p/s, and brake fluid. Check and replace any leaking seals. Then replace the air & fuel filters. Get that thing completely up to date. That way you know how it was treated is its former life. Get a good look at the shocks and brakes while you're at it...
I absolutely intend on doing all the fluids. I just ordered a lower ball joints,in/outter tie rods & sleeves, idler and pitman arm, center link and new rough country upper control arms. Having the brakes checked when they replace all that stuff and it's the guys at my job so I'm sure they'll check the shocks and struts. Also adding a steering stabilizer.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 88 RCSB C1500 Silverado came with chrome bumpers, wheel arches, and bump strips but, it had cloth bench seat too. Maybe OP can post a side view with the "B" pillar emblem, unless it was changed somewhere down the road?
The b pillar emblem is the gold silverado emblem. The previous owner 100% painted the bumpers and bump strips. I can tell bc it's chipped away to chrome in some spots. Which I'll be touching up bc I HATE chrome lol.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've also been looking up how to do an nrg quick release, bc I despise how big the steering wheel is. Even with my seat all the way back it feels so close. I'm 5'11" 265 so I'm not small by any means. And I feel like the steering wheel is a necessary early upgrade, just for drivability purpose.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually wish I had a 40/20/40 bench.
I don't think GM made a 40-20-40 seat setup. I bought one years ago for my WT, but it was a custom seat and cost me $1800 I think. I ended up swapping it for an extended cab seat plus $900 cash. So I did get 1/2 my money back. It just didn't look good in a regular cab truck. Ii had 60-40 in my 97 Silverado,but swapped out those for bucket seats from a Tahoe. Put a center console front a 2004 Tahoe, and built a custom floor shifter and the section for it. The bucket seats are from a 95 Tahoe.

Attachments

• 20210130_111901.jpg
    20210130_111901.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210110_121521.jpg
    20210110_121521.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210110_120233.jpg
    20210110_120233.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210110_120033.jpg
    20210110_120033.jpg