New to the forum but not to OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Locolocal

Reaction score
I started out looking for a squarebody to slam but finding one in decent shape that doesn't cost an arm and a leg had been a tall task. In the meantime, I have stumbled across some really nice OBS trucks and I think I am going to pull the trigger on one tonight. It's an 89 regular cab long bed, 2wd with a 305. Has a really cool two tone blue and light blue paint scheme. Only 60k miles and legitimately rust free. Only blemish is peeling clear coat on the driver's side. Seems to be a good deal as it's in great condition relative to other trucks in this price range.

My first pickup was an 88 K1500 with a 5.7. The intake manifold gasket went bad and instead of fixing it I decided to sell it. I regret selling it! Funny enough, I just threw out the mirrors I bought for the old truck, and that's the one thing that looks like it needs replacing on this truck.

I'm looking forward to getting back into an OBS. My daily is a 2011 Sierra crew cab. This will be a project truck just to tool around in, something to tinker with and for a cruise to the movies on Friday nights with the wife.

I'll be sure to start a build thread once I get into it!

Locolocal

Reaction score
I'm already thinking of my first mods, assuming they aren't maintenance/repair related: Belltech4/6 drop and some new wheels and tires. I haven't made up my mind on wheels yet. Of course the transport wheels look great but I would like to try and do something a little different. I also plan to upgrade the speakers and tint the windows. Other than that, I think it will stay pretty basic for awhile (we all know how that goes...).

All of my other trucks/vehicles have been lifted (84 Bronco > 88 K1500> 93 4Runner > 06 Tacoma > 11 Sierra), so I am looking forward to diving into the world of lowered trucks.

I also love choppers and have built a few over the years. Hopefully I can get the truck low enough to where it will be cool to be able to roll them into the bed without a ramp!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you!

What's your welder of choice for frame mods?
I have access to everything in our machine shop. We have some big welding machines here, and I have a Miller AC/DC stick welder at home. To do frame work, you need a welder with some power. A 240 volt machine. Those little 120 volt, wall plug in, machines, just don't have enough power to give you a good solid weld on anything thicker than about 1/8 metal, and even then, your at max, of what the machine can do. I have done some repairs on my 97, Silverado, with the machine I have at home. I used some 3/32, 7018 rods. Welded the hell out of a broken, upper, shock tower mounting bracket. There is nothing wrong with doing a frame repair with mig, as long as the machine is a 240 volt.