New to me project truck, need help with transmission and other questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrayT

Reaction score
I just picked up a cool new project truck.

its an 85 chevy square body k20 that has a 1996 5.7 vortec and 4l60e swapped in from a sierra.
It still has its np208 transfer case, but the rest of the drivetrain is stock as far as I know.

Since its not my project its "difficult" to work on, the previous owner had the swap done by a shop but they went out of bushiness and returned it to him non running. I got the engine going and it sounds really good but the trans is in limp mode. It only goes in 3rd gear in drive and will do a 2 3 shift if i move the shifter manually and it has reverse.

I checked the trans fluid, its good. I checked to see if the circle trans connector is getting power on the E pin; its not but the other pink wire pin "N" is getting 12 volts with ignition on. Do these need to be switched?

i have a Bluetooth obd2 reader and while driving it shows a proportionate change in speed from 1 - 2.5 mph. It looks like its using an adapter out of the transfer case to send vss. Could this incorrect speed reading cause limp mode?

The only code the scanner is showing is a rear o2 sensor fault.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

TexasT

Reaction score
Is it using the "black box" computer? or something else? I would be hunting a trouble shooting tree for that 96 stuff and see where it leads you with the trans not shifting. Look for a 96 service manual, I would think someone has it hosted online somewhere.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Yes, you need to have ignition power to pin E (key in run AND start positions). If not, then that is most likely your issue. Pin N is in good shape if you have ig power there, that is your manual valve position sensor input from the PCM.

Trace out the wiring, or pull a new wire entirely if the harness is butchered in any way. That wire went to a fuse in the 96 instrument panel fuse block, so it may have been cut back or taped inside the harness somewhere when it was removed.

GrayT

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, i added ignition power to pin e and the trans shifted into first. It has a pulse generator on the mechanical speedo that makes 8k pulses so the computer was only reading 1-2 mph and not shifting. I bought a Dakota digital sgi-5e pulse converter and now the trans shifts through every gear.