new to me 98 1500 suspension ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kygreen229

Reaction score
New to the forum, my name is Kyle. Just picked up a 98 Silverado 1500 extra cab standard bed Z71. It appears my rear leaf pack may have an extra spring...guy hauled a camper at one time before I acquired it. So rear sits a bit higher and front appears to sit a bit higher. Standard pack of leaf springs on these a 4 pack from what I've seen?

Is there way to know the rough stock ride height? Just trying to get this to sit stock height and be a stock pickup for daily use. Any help appreciated!

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The torsion bars may have been cranked if the front is level with the back.

For the front, the stock settings are below. Use the second set, 5.9 to 6.4”

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you've got RPO code F44 (check the sticker in the glovebox) then that comes with an extra leaf in the spring pack, for a total of 5 including the overload leaf. I *think* (not 100% sure, not a 4x4 guy) it comes with heavier rate torsion bars, too.

You may also have the 9.5" 14 bolt rear end with that package, which is a nice piece to have.

Or, the guy added a leaf, or aftermarket leaf pack, as you suspected.

Richard

kygreen229

Reaction score
If you've got RPO code F44 (check the sticker in the glovebox) then that comes with an extra leaf in the spring pack, for a total of 5 including the overload leaf. I *think* (not 100% sure, not a 4x4 guy) it comes with heavier rate torsion bars, too.

You may also have the 9.5" 14 bolt rear end with that package, which is a nice piece to have.

Or, the guy added a leaf, or aftermarket leaf pack, as you suspected.

Richard

Don’t see a RPO code 44 in the glove box stickers. Thanks for the tip.

kygreen229

Reaction score
Using the z measurement guide roughly 5.9-6.4 for the specs I appear to be right in there. However in order to achieve that I had to screw out the driver side around 3.5-4 full turns. The pass side only about 1.5 turns. The bolt is out quite a bit further on the drivers side now. Is this normal? Just means one is sagged more than the other likely?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One of the torsion bars is probably just weaker (or whatever the term is) due to age.

Someone on here ran out of adjustment and could not get the front to level. They had one bolt that was nearly extended and the other almost completely seated. New bars solved the issue, but it doesn’t sound like that is necessarily needed in your case.

Edit: here’s that thread

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/torsion-bar-experts-in-here-please.12071/

kygreen229

Reaction score
One of the torsion bars is probably just weaker (or whatever the term is) due to age.

Someone on here ran out of adjustment and could not get the front to level. They had one bolt that was nearly extended and the other almost completely seated. New bars solved the issue, but it doesn’t sound like that is necessarily needed in your case.

Edit: here’s that thread

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/torsion-bar-experts-in-here-please.12071/

You've been a great help thank you for your time.

Kyle