New Steering Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluetahoe

Reaction score
I posted this in an older thread but thought worth doing so in a new thread since it's made driving the Tahoe a lot more enjoyable.

I had installed 3 steering gears in my 97 GMT400 Tahoe in the last less than 2 years. They all had excessive play. Both NAPA and O'Reillys sell the same remanufactured unit by Cardone. I finally found Redhead steering gears and spent a LOT more money hoping the 4th would be better. Well, I installed the unit last weekend and it is awesome. No noticeable play in the steering wheel. The guy at Redhead explained how they remanufactured their units and now I can see it does make a difference.

BTW, I removed/ground out the knockouts and alignment has been good. Calling them "knock outs" is an understatement. I completely disassembled the front end and rebuilt(bearings, brakes, hoses, shocks, A-arms, etc) and painted less than 2 years ago.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most folks would be happier if they'd take the time to perform the two adjustments to their original steering gear, than to buy a mass-market replacement.

They're not that hard, they wouldn't even have to remove the steering gear from the frame rail. And it costs nothing except time and effort.

bluetahoe

Reaction score
Most folks would be happier if they'd take the time to perform the two adjustments to their original steering gear, than to buy a mass-market replacement.

They're not that hard, they wouldn't even have to remove the steering gear from the frame rail. And it costs nothing except time and effort.
I agree and did so with the original unit. A Pulley Adjustment tool helps with adjustments. It got me some more miles, but eventually wore out. The first unit I replaced the OEM unit with was WORSE than the original!! They ALL were worse! So, again, yes--adjusting the unit can be the best thing to do!
This last unit couldn't be adjusted since the ring which the steering shaft goes through couldn't be turned. I have turned that ring many times to tighten up saginaw gear units but this one couldn't be budged.
I learned that the biggest advantage of going with Redhead is their matching of new ball bearings to the shaft. The size relationship of the ball bearings to the shaft "spiral valleys" (I call them) has a lot to do with the play. This unit is better than the original on my brothers 2016 chevy with about 40K miles.