New steering box off a tooth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one I tried using had shorter jaws, but that looks similar. The issue I had was that the claws couldn’t grab anything...there wasn’t enough room between the pitman face and the center link for the claws to fit in between. Since the center link is rounded, it kept slipping off.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I think this is the tool I was looking for. The jaws clamp on the centerlink, not the pitmam itself. the screw presses against the threaded shaft on the small end of the pitman. This lets you yank the pitman without damaging the boot. Unfortunately these things are $40-$90.

You must be registered for see images attach

That is a tie rod tool. The pitman arm puller is a heavier duty tool. It looks like this.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks like what I used for pulling it from the gear box. Works great with an impact. Never could find one to disconnect it at the centerlink, but I’m sure such an animal exists.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I have the larger pitman version. I was just in Oreilly and they had the big pitman tool I already have and then a 2/3 sized one labeled pitman/tierod puller. I have actually invented the tool in my head that would pull the pitman from the centerlink without damaging the boot but I don't have the tools to build it.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
What brand Pittman arm? Moog pittman arms aren't indexed correctly and will result in what you're describing. Try an acdelco arm

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To get a tapered link apart without damaging boots just hold a hammer against one side and wack the other side with a 3 lb. hammer. You hit the the pitman arm not the center link. A couple blows usually makes them fall right out. Works on tie rod ends, and ball joints too. Don't be afraid to hit it.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
There are also low profile pitman arm pullers. As I recall I had to remove the box to obtain enough room to get a standard puller on. But the low pros are rather pricey.