New steering box off a tooth?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I decided to install a new pitman arm and steering box but when installed it the steering wheel was off center. It drove straight but off center. I took it to the alignment shop and they adjusted the tie rods and straightened the steering wheel but now I've lost turning radius. Basically I can turn the wheel further to the right than to the left. Makes it a pain in the ass to park as it reaches it's limit about halfway through the turn. Maybe the box itself wasn't assembled properly at the factory or something? It's a cheapo from pepboys so that wouldn't surprise me I guess. Hoping thats what is going on. What do you guys think?

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i can go a good amount from rt to lft driving down the road and the truck don't respond so other than your problem is the steering responsive?
just asking b4 i buy a steering box.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like the box was not centered when the pitman arm was installed.

x2

Count the turns on the input shaft on the steering gear and center it before installing. Use the (unbolted) pitman arm for leverage. I forget which, but it’s something like 2-1/2 or 3-1/2 turns from lock to center, check that the orientation of the flat spot on it matches the flat spot on the steering shaft connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took it back off and realigned it. Still doing it. It goes on straight until I bolt on the steering shaft and then I have to turn it for it to line up, basically screwing me out of a quarter of a turn. I even reinstalled the arm in different positions and that just wouldn't work. And yes it turns smoothly until I reach the capacity going right, then make a popping sound. The guy that aligned it said it had very little threads left on the tie rods in order for it to go straight. I'm guessing by aligning it that way threw it off.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the steering wheel and tires straight, it should align with the centered gear box shaft without a lot of turning or manipulation. Yeah, I would be tempted to swap the box out.

They usually come out of the box already centered and marked with paint, but there’s no telling how the quality control is these days.

On the plus side, you’ve probably gotten pretty good at pulling it. I went through three once.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris253

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I figured about the paint marks. I measured by that as well but it's still not lined up with the link. And you're right, a 3 hour job can now be done in about 30 minutes ha

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From my experience with replacing the front end. If you use an aftermarket brand pitman arm, it will be off center. My original side by side was thicker and the splines were not the same